Sync two Windows computers

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Sync two Windows computers

Post by Lowlander » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:53 pm

No, it shouldn't cause any problems.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

KEP

Post by KEP » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Lowlander wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:53 pm
No, it shouldn't cause any problems.
Wonderful! Sorry I didn't ask at the same time -- what about the database itself? (Where more "trouble" could actually occur.) If that's shared read-only, that'll work as well?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:29 pm

That'll probably cause problems as playing a file will write to the database, among many other things you can do in MediaMonkey. Maybe a separate share that isn't read-only.

If you want true read-only you can use Media Sharing and access through DLNA. That won't allow the client to make any changes to the database (other than tracking plays if enabled) or the files.

KEP

Post by KEP » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Lowlander wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:29 pm
That'll probably cause problems as playing a file will write to the database, among many other things you can do in MediaMonkey. Maybe a separate share that isn't read-only.
D'oh! Yeah, unless very graceful fails were coded in, damn...

Lowlander wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:29 pm
If you want true read-only you can use Media Sharing and access through DLNA.
Never found a client that could gracefully cope with 100k+ tracks. (Or even 1000, for that matter.) Otherwise, yeah, that'd definitely be the go-to answer! Neat concept, but seemingly un-implementable.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:13 pm

MediaMonkey can scan files from a Media Server. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (preferring direct access), but you'd have the benefit of a local database which is faster and allows much better searching.

KEP

Post by KEP » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:01 pm

Lowlander wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:13 pm
MediaMonkey can scan files from a Media Server. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (preferring direct access), but you'd have the benefit of a local database which is faster and allows much better searching.
Fascinating! I never noticed that node at the bottom of the list before! Might have to try that first, actually. Seems ideal, other than potential overhead of keeping things in sync. Thanks!

LindaPeterson

Sync desktop and laptop?

Post by LindaPeterson » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:42 am

Is it possible to sync MM between the desktop and laptop? I have 3rd party sync software that quickly shows me any files added or changed in either db, but if I use that software, the files are transferred but lose any database info (like LastPlayed, PlayCount). The changed songs would be essentially the same file; the changes would be newly found cover art or adding lyrics or a composer, etc.

Peke

Re: Sync desktop and laptop?

Post by Peke » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi,
This is something we are working on in MM5 where we introduced Free MMS (MediaMonkey Server) and middle man.

More to be heard about that very soon, but you can try both in MM5 forum sections.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add Images to forum