Problem with Add/Rescan Tracks to the Library...

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

steve_85

Problem with Add/Rescan Tracks to the Library...

Post by steve_85 »

When I click to scan my folder that contains all my music MM hangs for quite a while, then it slowly proceeds to go through the music. I have about 2500 songs, usually it goes thought them in 20-30 seconds max. But now I left it for 2 hours and it went through only 1300 of the songs. This randomly started happening last night.

Anyone have any insight as to the problem???
decaf

Post by decaf »

I had the same problem once - turned out to be a set of corrupt mpc files causing it. Problem was solved by removing the offending files from the folder I was scanning. HTH.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Why would you scan the whole data base?

That is time consuming and a waste.

When adding tracks, rip or copy them to a new folder, then scan ONLY that folder. Takes like 1 second.

Then tag the music using Properties, then Auto-Organize.

You are making work for yourself unnecessarily.

I can't comment on whats wrong with the Scan or the files, only that you're doing make work.
Regards,

Scooter
Registered Lifetime Gold Licensee
Since 2006

Custom RAID Workstation > Focusrite I/O > 1g Cat6 Network > Adcom Preamp > Vandersteen Crossover > Adcom Power Amp > Vandersteen 3 Speakers > Vandersteen 2wq Subwoofer
BruceM

Copying from CD to a dir

Post by BruceM »

When I select the tracks on a CD then copy/paste them to a dir, it just gives me a 1 KB file with a "Trackxx" file name, not the track itself. What am I doing wrong>
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

nothing. your just telling monkey to keep the songs on the cdrom and make a virtual listing. you need to rip the cdrom if you want the songs on the computer.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
BruceM

And so how do I rip to a dir and not to a CD?

Post by BruceM »

And so how do I rip to a dir and not to a CD?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you use the rip feature on monkey to rip the cdrom to the hard drive.

it has text area for you to tell it where you want the songs ripped to.

and it has options for you to pick the format you want to rip them as.

put the cdrom in the cdrw drive click on the menu bar word "tools" you can find the rip cdrom feature there.

you then click that and it starts the rip cdrom panel of options.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
BruceM

OK, I found the icon for that . . .

Post by BruceM »

This software makes it too easy! I'm so used to the other crap out there, I wasn't looking for an easy solution.
rovingcowboy

Re: OK, I found the icon for that . . .

Post by rovingcowboy »

BruceM wrote:This software makes it too easy! I'm so used to the other crap out there, I wasn't looking for an easy solution.

oh sorry about that ? i been using this for years now i don't remember any hard ways? :P

now you know how to keep the virtual cdroms if you want to do that too 8)
steve_85

Didn't work

Post by steve_85 »

@ decaf

I considered that corrupt files would cause my problem but I havent added any files since the last time it worked.

Any other suggestions, I can't add music to my library! :cry:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can try created a debug log as described in the bug forum. This would help the developers a lot. You can also try to scan subdirectories to add files, maybe you get lucky.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Again, have you tried adding files to a smaller directory, THEN scanning that directory. Please do this for 5-10 files and get back to me.
Regards,

Scooter
Registered Lifetime Gold Licensee
Since 2006

Custom RAID Workstation > Focusrite I/O > 1g Cat6 Network > Adcom Preamp > Vandersteen Crossover > Adcom Power Amp > Vandersteen 3 Speakers > Vandersteen 2wq Subwoofer
rovingcowboy

Re: Problem with Add/Rescan Tracks to the Library...

Post by rovingcowboy »

steve_85 wrote:When I click to scan my folder that contains all my music MM hangs for quite a while, then it slowly proceeds to go through the music. I have about 2500 songs, usually it goes thought them in 20-30 seconds max. But now I left it for 2 hours and it went through only 1300 of the songs. This randomly started happening last night.

Anyone have any insight as to the problem???

sorry for my oversite in not reading your message i read just the post by brucem. which i just took it that he had the same error as you.

what you are describing is just monkey doing lots of gathering of the infomation of the songs' then it scans them.
that is normaly done fast.
but if you should happen to have lots of un sync'ed tags it will slow up some and the more it has to rescan the more tags it has to check and see if anything has changed and re write it if there are any changes..

mostly this will be caused by you changing the percentage of volume on the playback leveler or some other complete library option like that.

but sometimes the bad files will mess it up too.

needless to say or so i thought it was needless? is that the cpu cycles fill up fast when doing editing to lots of songs and so does ram.

i am getting the impression that monkey saves all changes in the memory until he is closed then writes them. so the more songs with the more changes that are held in memory the slower he becomes until he finally stops.

that is what seems to be going on with your trouble also.

scooter was right in saying try it with smaller amounts of files in the dirctory.

i'll add go through your library and pick 20 to 75 songs at a time and run the sync on them. to make sure they are all correct in their tags.

and do smaller amounts when scaning like scooter says. 8)
i also scan in like scooter does. it works.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

rovingcowboy wrote:but if you should happen to have lots of un sync'ed tags it will slow up some and the more it has to rescan the more tags it has to check and see if anything has changed and re write it if there are any changes..

mostly this will be caused by you changing the percentage of volume on the playback leveler or some other complete library option like that.

but sometimes the bad files will mess it up too.

needless to say or so i thought it was needless? is that the cpu cycles fill up fast when doing editing to lots of songs and so does ram.

i am getting the impression that monkey saves all changes in the memory until he is closed then writes them. so the more songs with the more changes that are held in memory the slower he becomes until he finally stops.
This is wrong, MediaMonkey directly saves tags to tracks if you have it set to update tracks on tag changes. It doesn't save these operations till you close MediaMonkey.

Also changed tags in many tracks has no effect on the speed of the scan. You could play with the settings of the add/rescan to not allow scanning tracks already in the database to speed up the scan, but generally just setting it to scan for tracks with changed timestamp will be sufficient.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

This is wrong, MediaMonkey directly saves tags to tracks if you have it set to update tracks on tag changes. It doesn't save these operations till you close MediaMonkey.

Also changed tags in many tracks has no effect on the speed of the scan. You could play with the settings of the add/rescan to not allow scanning tracks already in the database to speed up the scan, but generally just setting it to scan for tracks with changed timestamp will be sufficient.

ah okay what about the un sync'ed tags does that have any influence on the scan?

as i have had the same error he described and given monkey the benifit of the doubt and thought the above was the cause of it.

because the next time i scanned after i had sync'ed the tags and made sure all files were correct. the scan went faster?

there has to be a reason for it. slowing down.

if not anything to do with monkey, then it is most likely to be some other program with an " intergate with explorer setting "
like the avg av program which would also start scanning when when some file was trying to be changed by the explorer shell.

even if there was another program using the explorer shell like monkey. the av auto scan would trigger.

that is the only things possible some other programs causing it.

out side of some error in monkey which i don't believe has the error.
why? because there are too many things dealling with scanning that are having troubles.
like the errors in the en mass thread and volume leveling threads.

they all have simular errors, and all deal with scanning.
there has to be a connection and not monkey or rusty and jiri would have found the error in monkeys code by now.

so it has to be the explorer shell.

and since it works well for explorer then it has to be something using the shell at the same time monkey is and trying to scan at the same time.?

either av, aspy, amalware, or some monitor for a usb device.?
if any of them intergrade with the shell.

any one with the slowing down know if your using any other programs like that? post here and let us know.

8)