Is this possible with Gold version?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Flo

Is this possible with Gold version?

Post by Flo »

I downloaded the free version of MediaMonkey and tried it out for a while.
It's a really good piece of software and now I'm thinking about buying the full version.
But before I do so I want to know if the full version allows me to do the following things that I want to do with this program.
It would be really nice if you could tell me if those things are possible with MediaMonkey.

I want to assign keywords to my songs. I'm talking about keywords like 'romantic', 'sad', 'funny', 'weird', 'fast', 'music without lyrics', 'from my favorite radio station', etc.
I know that it is possible to specify a value for speed, mood, occasion and quality for each song, but that is not what i want. I want to be able to assign like five or six or even more different keywords to one song.
It should then, of course, also be possible to search for songs with specific keywords mapped to them.
A cool thing would be if I could display the keywords assigned to a song in an extra column in the songlist of the main window.

The next thing is that when I sit on my couch listening to the music played by MedyMonkey I don't always know if the song that is currently playing has keywords or a rating assigned to it.
So it would be nice if the program could alarm me whenever it loads a song that has no rating or keywords set. This might be a short beep or a dialog popping up.

Can I do those things with the full version of MediaMonkey?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Gold version won't help you with these issues.

1) There is no true keyword support like you request. You have mood, tempo, genre available and you could use the custom fields for more keywords. This all can be done with the free version.

2) This might be something a script could do, but the program doesn't do this. You can check out the Scripts and Components forum for more on scripts and plugins.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Addon:
2) It can be easily made within script. Something like that you select 1 track from library that will be played as announcment before next song which is unrated or do not have set Mood,... More advanced thing will be to make small app that will play sound if currently played song is unrated or do not have mood,...
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
computerace

Keywords is possible!

Post by computerace »

Hi Flo,

First Idea:
Just following up on what has been mentioned before:
There are 3 custom fields which can be renamed in the "Song properties" > "Classification" section.

I would rename one of them to "Keywords".

This can be done by going to Tools > Options > Appearance (at the very bottom of the Options list).

Next, choose Custom 1, and enter beside that in the empty text box the word: Keywords.

Restart MediaMonkey to ensure this will be displayed everywhere now instead of Custom 1. To show this field you might have to right-click while hovering your mouse over the top-area which names the usual Title and Artist categories say in your "Now Playing" or Library pane.

Ensure that "Keywords" has a tick beside it (just left-click to set a tick).
Now place the Keyword field far enough to the left into a position where you can view it easily without having to scroll to get there (do this by dragging).

Once you like the updated placing of the field you can then go ahead and set your keywords by entering a number of strings against each track in your library like you had mentioned earlier. I would put quotation marks on either side of the string (ie. "corrupt track" or "contains explicit language") to separate the strings.

A typical entry could look like this:
"Language Spanish" "Live recording" "favourite" "Christmas" "more copies of same song in the library" "corrupt track"

Once all the keywords per song have been entered you can even search for tracks with particular keywords by typing keywords into the search box. I tried it and it works. MM looks everywhere (even lyrics).

So entering "corrupt track" all tracks will be listed that have "corrupt track" in the Keyword field, or anywhere else (note the quotation marks on both sides).

I know this is just answering part of your question, but I hope it helps.

Another idea:
You could use the lyrics section and enter somewhere there the keywords in the manner already explained above or maybe you could enter them as follows:

kw-Language Spanish
kw-Live recording
kw-favourite
kw-Christmas
kw-more copies of same song in the library
kw-corrupt track

(Note: kw - stands for keyword)

So when searching for corrupt tracks just enter into the searchbox
kw-corrupt track

That should achieve a similar objective :)

All of the above should work with the Standard Edition of MM.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Instead of using the lyrics is probably better to use the comments field.
Flo

Post by Flo »

Thanks for your answers.
I just got another idea: what do you think of using playlists as keywords?
I could create a playlist called "KW - corrupt track" or "KW - Live Music".
What do you think about it?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You could do that and send tracks to them. This would be a way to identify tracks. Remember that you can't search on these lists or search tracks with a criteria that they are on a certain playlist.

But they would quickly identify which track is corrupt, live, etc. It also allows to have a song be multiple things by including them on multiple playlists (ie corrupt and live).
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I would just add the keywords in the comments field and then make auto-playlists with:

"any text field" + contains + your keywords you want

Post by Guest »

Lowlander wrote:You could do that and send tracks to them. This would be a way to identify tracks. Remember that you can't search on these lists or search tracks with a criteria that they are on a certain playlist.

But they would quickly identify which track is corrupt, live, etc. It also allows to have a song be multiple things by including them on multiple playlists (ie corrupt and live).
You're right.

I decided to do it the way computerace suggested: I'll use the "Custom 1" field as keyword field.
Flo

Post by Flo »

Anonymous wrote:
Lowlander wrote:You could do that and send tracks to them. This would be a way to identify tracks. Remember that you can't search on these lists or search tracks with a criteria that they are on a certain playlist.

You're right.

I decided to do it the way computerace suggested: I'll use the "Custom 1" field as keyword field.
This was my post. Sorry, forgot to type in the name.
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

Since you chose the Custom1 sollution i would suggest seperating your keywords with a character like | or ; (eg Fantastic|Dance|Corrupt|)
This way, it would be easier for any feature script to seperate tohose values programmatically.
Also it would allow you to save phrases as a keyword (although this is a comment actually) eg (Fantastic|Marked as "bullet proof"| etc)