starting a stream takes time, why?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

robospine

starting a stream takes time, why?

Post by robospine »

when i start a stream it allways take some 10 seconds before it starts.. why is that?

it's streams from shoutcast.com that you can find within mediamonkey.

/alex
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

From the beginning that you connect, there's no data yet, so to get some data you have to wait a tiny bit.
Most streaming protocols (as also Shoutcast) use buffering to make sure that a temporary internet connection drop or speed issues don't have an effect on the thing you're downloading, the stream. That means that the buffer is first filled to 100% (what takes some time for certain connections) and then starts playing until the end, or until the buffer has run empty to 0%(e.g. because the connection broke down). In the last case, the sound/video will stop and the buffer will be filled again to 100% ("buffering...", what can take some time again), so playback can continue.

Cheers
Steegy
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
robospine

Post by robospine »

ok, i get that..
but when i use winamp i don't have this "problem"..
the same streams start right away.. ok maybe a one sec delay but not as much as in Mediamonkey..
robospine

Post by robospine »

anyone?
robospine

Post by robospine »

another thing is that MediaMonkey freezez if i try to start an other stream while the first is still trying to start.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you using MediaMonkey 2.5.4 or a previous version?
robospine

Post by robospine »

robospine

Post by robospine »

just got the 2.5.5 and still the same problem, if i change streams before the first one is fully loaded the program hangs.