Howto: MediaMonkey on Linux / Wine

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Chrisboo

Howto: MediaMonkey on Linux / Wine

Post by Chrisboo »

Hi,
I think I've read about every post in this forum containing either the word "linux" or "wine" and it seems like it is posible to run the MM under linux using wine. However nobody gives details about how this can be done. All I've been able to find is that you have to install the JET engine and MDAC. Therefor I realy plea to everybody who was able to get MM running under linux to write a short instruction how he did it. Or at least which wine version they use, which programs they installed and wheather they did it all "by hand" or used some tools like winetools or WineXS.
Furthermore I know that you can run MM using VMware but in my opinion this is way over the top.

So thank you in advace! I'd realy love to see my monkey running under linux not only for my sake but also for the benefit of the this software because I am sure there are a lot of folks in the linux community intrested in this player!

Thanks again
Christian
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

Hi Christian,

I would be interested in this myself as I am unable to get MM running in Wine. I've spent the last couple of days fighting with it but getting nowhere.

Using Wine 0.9.24, Winetools, MDAC 2.8 sp1, JET 4 (for Win98). I have Wine installed correctly, with IE6 and some other bits. I can install MDAC and Jet okay and can see the various ODBC files in the windows\system32 directory.

MM installs okay but when you try to run it you get the database error. (Sorry don't have the error to hand currently in Windows, but its about the Database driver not being found) -- Edit here it is:

Code: Select all

There was a problem querying the database:
IM002:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
Looking at the output debug I wonder what configmg.vxd is used for. Need to look into it in a few days when I get back from a trip.

fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"configmg.vxd". Try setting Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:ole:CoResumeClassObjects stub
err:systray:delete_icon invalid tray icon ID specified: 47093656d
fixme:systray:handle_incoming unhandled tray message: 4
err:region:CombineRgn Invalid rgn=(nil)
err:region:CombineRgn Invalid rgn=(nil)
fixme:odbc:SQLConfigDataSource (nil) 1 "Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)" "DSN=MediaMonkey"
After poking around I found that ODBC.INI in the windows directory was missing the entry for MM: i.e

[ODBC 32 bit Data Sources]
MS Access Database=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) (32 bit)
MediaMonkey=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) (32 bit)

[MediaMonkey]
Driver32=D:\WINDOWS\system32\odbcjt32.dll
also I found the the Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) (32 bit) was missing from ODBCINST.INI.

Unfortuantly manually adding those entries makes no difference. I am a little stumped at the minute, though wondering if I need to use the program odbcconf.exe which is in windows\system32.
Last edited by tarasis on Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

I should add that there are only two things keeping me tied to Windows.

a) Games
b) Media Monkey

So getting MM running in Wine would be great and stop me dual booting as often as I do. After a couple of times in a day I must admit thinking "why bother" running linux.
jiri

Post by jiri »

For anybody trying this: MM 3.0 won't be dependant on ODBC and MDAC and so you might possibly wait and see whether it will be easier to run MM on Linux then.

Jiri
Bex

Post by Bex »

jiri wrote:For anybody trying this: MM 3.0 won't be dependant on ODBC and MDAC and so you might possibly wait and see whether it will be easier to run MM on Linux then.

Jiri
That's very interesting to read! 8)
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Cat

Post by Cat »

MM 3.0 won't be dependant on ODBC and MDAC
Curiosity is killing me.

Please expand. :-?
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

jiri wrote:For anybody trying this: MM 3.0 won't be dependant on ODBC and MDAC and so you might possibly wait and see whether it will be easier to run MM on Linux then.
Thanks Jiri for the update, I look forward to trying it out once you release 3.0 for beta testing :D

Here's hoping for an early christmas present :wink: for the moment though if I get a spare moment I am going to see if I can crack it for the current version of MM.
Sammy20

Post by Sammy20 »

Jiri
Thats great news for windows users as well. I hate ODBC, and MDAC.
Nik

Post by Nik »

I ask the developer when Version 3.0 is available and i they write this to me:
...however, version 3.0 has yet to even enter alpha testing.

We hope to have it available in December.
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

Nik wrote:I ask the developer when Version 3.0 is available and i they write this to me:
...however, version 3.0 has yet to even enter alpha testing.

We hope to have it available in December.
Thanks Nik, thats exciting news!

Post by Guest »

Sounds great! I`ll wait for 3.0 then. Can you allready line out the depandencies 3.0 will need? Like .Net and so on? But it obviously theres no hurry :wink:
Thanks for all the replays by the way!
And once again: MM rocks :) :wink:
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Can you already line out the depandencies 3.0 will need?
MM 3.0 will probably be very independant. Everything will probably be machine code (no Java or .Net) and only use the normal Windows stuff.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Exception of VBScript for scripting.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Chrisboo

Post by Chrisboo »

But it is possible to get VBScript running under wine, isn't it? Do you think that will be difficult?
Peke

Post by Peke »

I do not use Wine or linux :( But it should be no problems there, at least no bad reports on that.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts