Restoring library

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Sgrom

Restoring library

Post by Sgrom »

Shit

Just had a huge crash. Had to repartition my drive and reinstall windows. I restored all the files in my music/mediamonkey directory from a backup. But now I have two copies of every song in my library.

One is the files that MM has just scanned now, e.g:

C:\Music\MP3s\Faithless\(2001) Outrospective\Disc 2 Reperspective\01 - Faithless - One Step Too Far (Radio Edit).mp3

But the other seems to be confused about the drive e.g:

?:\Music\MP3s\Faithless\(2001) Outrospective\Disc 2 Reperspective\01 - Faithless - One Step Too Far (Radio Edit).mp3

Any idea what is happening and how I can fix this?

Thanks
julzcompufreek

Post by julzcompufreek »

I am assuming that you replaced the MM Library with a backed up one as well. In this case, the tracks with "?:\" at the start should be greyed out, so you cant play them and the new ones should be playable.

You can either do one of two things, you should be able to delete the ones with "?:\" at the start, and just use the ones (as in remove from library, not from computer) with "C:\" at the start (the newly scanned ones) or you could remove the newly scanned ones and edit the MM database changing "?:\" to "C:\" in all of them. The first option is the easiest, make sure however that you have a backup of your MM Database and all your music, just in case something goes wrong.

You haven't changed your Hard Drive by any chance have you and is it possible that the HDD that your Music was stored on had a different drive letter to that of C?

I hope this has been of help
Julian aka julzcompufreek
"Dancing is a contact sport; football is a Hitting sport." - Vince Lombardi
Visit My Blog - http://kompufreak.wordpress.com
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

If you replaced your hardrive the its going to have a new volume ID. MM tracks the tracks by volume ID and path.

If you want to keep your existing playcounts etc, then you will have to update the old mediaid/volume ID to the new drive.

there is a script or 2 around that can automate this, or you can open the database directly and try to update the media id yourself.

Safer to use script tho.

Sorry I don't have a link, but should be able to search for it with some effort.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Sgrom

Post by Sgrom »

Thanks

I am still using the old drive with the same drive letter, however it was repartitioned so I will try the script and see if it works. Will let you know ;)
Bex

Post by Bex »

Here more info with a manual way of doing it:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4325#24325
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Sgrom

Post by Sgrom »

Just tried the script, after a bit of trial and error everything is working fine :D