Tracks in Virtual CD Folders Somehow Not Accessible?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Trixie.in.Dixie

Tracks in Virtual CD Folders Somehow Not Accessible?

Post by Trixie.in.Dixie » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:57 pm

This is driving me crazy. I have spent hours and days loading my cd's into the Virtual CD thing (which I still don't like) but for some reason, entire cd's become "inaccessible" from the library for reasons I cannot fathom.

When I go into the Virtual CD folder in my hard drive and open up the subfolders of the cd's that are supposedly "inaccessible", I find that they are in fact, in the folders as they should be, and I can even play them from those folders... but for some reason they remain greyed out in the library.

Okay, so I decide I'm going to have to reload them all again, and the same tracks go right back into the same Virtual CD folders - I can watch them being added one by one. Except now each file name/song title has been appended with a "1" because each one is a duplicate of a track already in the folder. So then I have to delete the first set of tracks - otherwise, I would be doubling the space taken up by every cd that I have to reload.

What's up with that? Why does the library suddenly not read the tracks already in the Virtual CD folder? How many times will I have to reload these cd's to make them stay?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:54 am

Did you do anything else with the virtualCD? Things like moving songs manually, moving the virtualCD location or clearing the library? What file format are the songs in?

I personally prefer to just rip the songs to my computer without bothering with the virtualCD. As I don't care to keep some relationship with the original CD it's just easier for me.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Trixie.in.Dixie

Post by Trixie.in.Dixie » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:11 pm

I did trying moving the Virtual CD folder once and discovered that it broke the "connection" between the tracks in the folder and those in the library - so yeah, I reloaded everything.

The weird thing is that now I find that I never know what is going to disappear next or why. Today I added some new tracks that I had downloaded from emusic - something I do every month. I left the MM running when I left for work. I was only scanning the emusic folder for the new tracks. Now I find that for some reason all kinds of random albums and individual tracks are, for lack of a better term, "disconnected" from the library.

If I sort tracks by "Added" there is a long list of tracks with "Today 00:00 AM" where the times are all from this morning, obviously after the new emusic tracks were loaded in. Apparently MM went on to scan through other folders (at random?) and somehow altered plenty. I have no idea why.

So now I have all these "Dead Links" for songs that have magically disappeared - a combination of some that were ripped from actual CDs and some that were downloaded from the internet either from emusic or from a torrent site.

Some tracks are really and truly gone from my hard drive, but then many of them are still in their folders, but as I described before, and I can play them, but MM will not recognize them.

I am about ready to give up on MM even though I have paid for a lifetime gold membership. This is just frustrating.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:40 am

Some things:

Make sure the File Monitor is setup to only those folders you want to be monitored for new files. Especially P2P programs tend to move new downloads to a final folder when finished downloading. You only want to scan this finished folder not the folder where the P2P program is downloading to (when still downloading) as this can cause all kinds of weird issues in your library.

You can't manually move/modify/delete files in the VirtualCD. This is something you can only do through MediaMonkey itself. You also can't add files to the VirtualCD outside of MediaMonkey and than try to scan them in with MediaMonkey.

Your issues are not bugs in MediaMonkey (at least not that I know of), but have to do with the specifics of the other softwares (eMusic or torrent software) and the settings you have in MediaMonkey. Make sure you have your File Monitor set to only monitor folders with finished downloads (not with incomplete downloads) and also make sure nothing modifies anything in the VirtualCD location.

Trixie.in.Dixie

Post by Trixie.in.Dixie » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:58 pm

After spending quite some time looking through what is in my hard drive and what is in MM, it seems as though I am able to rescan the folders containing my music and bring back the greyed out tracks, but now I find that I have some duplications because on rescanning, some of the tags on the tracks got really skewed from what they had been, and then some that were fine the way they were before suddenly have what looks to be track numbers at the beginning of every title in the format of "01, 02, 03...", etc. so there are tracks that are the same, only with screwed up titles, or other tag info. So of course MM thinks these are all "new" tracks and adds them.

I do NOT have any kind of auto scan set on any of my folders - I prefer to do it manually when I am ready to add new tracks that I have downloaded. I am well aware that my torrents and my emusic have separate folders, and I prefer to keep them that way. The problem is that tracks that have been previously added to the library (from a variety of sources) have, at random, become unavailable, or "disconnected" as I was saying. Tracks that I have not moved or touched (and there is no one else accessing any of this either) but are being altered by MM somehow even when I am not using MM. I noticed that some of the tracks that were changed had modified times of 4 and 5 AM, and that's not something that I would have done myself.

I am going to go through and weed out all these duplicates and fix the tags again, and I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. In the meantime, perhaps someone has some idea what in the world is going on.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:09 am

MediaMonkey doesn't auto-change any tags or files. Scripts could make auto-changes to your files. Do you have scripts installed?
The other logical explanation would be another application making these changes.

As for torrents, when you start a download the torrent application often creates a full file. This file can be seen by MediaMonkey if you Add/Rescan the temp download location. Make sure that in the torrent application you save the finished downloads to a different location.

When using Add/Rescan it's best to only scan those folders that have music. This would be the eMusic folder and the finished downloads folder for the torrents. Don't scan any folders that contain temporary files.

When using Add/Rescan MediaMonkey tries to read the tags to get the song information. Often (especially P2P downloads) contain no or bad tags. When this is the case MediaMonkey will try to get the tags from the file names. I find it useful to turn off the Infer Track Properties in the options as this prevents some unexpected tag behavior while adding files.

I don't know what is causing your issues, but I doubt it's MediaMonkey. In any case you can always create a debug log as described in the Bug Reports forum as such a report contains more details for the developers to look at.