Optional Tags when using Auto-Tag by filename

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

aireq

Optional Tags when using Auto-Tag by filename

Post by aireq » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:16 pm

I'm in the process of recording all of my vinyl to wave files. I want to be able to use Media Monkey to Auto-Tag my files from the file names I create. However, not all of my records have all the same information. Here's the information I care about.

Album
Artist
Track Name (Title)
Record Label

And I have been labeling files like this (though I'm willing to change this if I need to).

[Album] Artist - Title - Label.wav
Artist - Title - Label.wav (If no or unknown album name)

So I'm having two issues. One not all the tracks I am recording have album titles. So is there a way that I can format my file names so that I can include the Album name if it exsists, but if not Media Monkey isn't going to to get confused and label the albumn the same as the track title or something like that? Second there is no field for Record Label. I'd be willing to use the Publisher field however this is not avalible in the Auto-Tag window.

Also whenever I load my files into Media Monkey it seems to try to break the file name up into various fields, but initialy it seems to do this in a different way then I have the Auto-Tag by filename window setup. Can someone give me some insight into how MediaMonkey initialy trys to Auto-Tag by filename?

Eric

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:57 am

I personally think that using Auto-Tag From Filename (as mentioned below in the "Alternatives" section) is a better approach, but the explanation below will hopefully clarify some things.

The following approach should only be used if you want the correct masks to be used each time you add files to your library.

Here's a part of MediaMonkey's readme.txt file:
b) .ini file customization
MediaMonkey saves configuration information on a per-user basis to an .ini file stored in:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERX\My Documents\My Music\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini

iii)To change the manner in which MediaMonkey attempts to interpret Track Properties from track
organization and filename, edit the [SongMasks] section (MediaMonkey attempts to match the masks
in that section in sequential order).
So now to a solution for you:
- exit MediaMonkey if it's running
- open MediaMonkey.ini (by default in the My Music\MediaMonkey folder)
- go to the section [SongMasks]
- change the entries Mask1 and Mask2 as mentioned below (you might want to copy them to a text file first, in case you later want them back)

Code: Select all

Mask1=[%L] %A - %S - %U
Mask2=%A - %S - %U
These masks mean [<Album>] <Artist> - <Title> - <Custom 1> and <Artist> - <Title> - <Custom 1>
If you want <Album Artist> (%R) instead of <Artist> (%A), then change %A to %R.
- use a script like ExtractFields or SwitchOrCopyFields to move the contents of the "Custom 1" field to the "Publisher" (Record Label) field.
- Scan/rescan the files you want added to the library, using the new masks
- ((If you want, restore the Mask1 and Mask2 masks back.))

Alternatives:
- Use Auto-Tag From Filename on all files beginning with [ using the mask [<Album>] <Artist> - <Title> - <Custom 1>
and on all other files using the mask <Artist> - <Title> - <Custom 1>.
- ((A custom made script))

Cheers
Steegy
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

aireq

Post by aireq » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:18 am

Ahhh ok that helps alot. So what if I wanted to use this to apply tags to my files? Could I setup the INI file to infer the fields correctly from the file name and then use the Syncronize Tags option to apply these values to the actual tags of the wave files?

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:22 am

Indeed.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).