importing library from itunes

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Jeff

importing library from itunes

Post by Jeff »

How do I import my library in Itunes to MM.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

This from MediaMonkey FAQ
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

That didn,t seem to work either.MM still won't read the new folder with the converted songs in m3u format.
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

If I understand correctly, you want MediaMonkey to play songs that you've stored, ripped or purchased through iTunes. That FAQ only applies to converting playlists, not the songs themselves.

If you've ripped songs from your CDs with iTunes, then these can be transferred fairly easily. Any song purchased from the iTunes store, though, is a problem. The DRM protection only allows playback via iTunes & iPods. If you're adamant on transferring these, then there are a couple of "cracks" which can remove the DRM and allow the songs to be played via any software / hardware (search google for eg QTFairUse6).

I have seen a plugin which supposedly allows playback of AAC protected files within WinAmp / MM, but I haven't tried it, and I'm not totally convinced it will work...

Transferring your CD ripped tracks is simple if you've encoded them as MP3, but it's more likely you kept the default settings and so have encoded into AAC (.m4a) which will require an AAC Plugin to read. Once installed, rescan your HD making sure to select .m4a / .mp4 file types. Unfortunately the file tags will not show up, as MM does not natively support this format (MM v3 will, I think). There's a script which will read the AAC tags from songs created with WinAmp... not sure how well it works with iTunes files though.

Even though AAC files are currently problematic for MM, I would still not recommend converting your files to another format due to loss of quality during the conversion process.

There probably should be a detailed FAQ page on transferring from iTunes & WMP, as new users are likely to be coming from one of those two systems. Not sure why there isn't.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I am trying to transfer my playlist of about 2500 songs ripped from my cd collection from itunes to MM.I have used one of the converters mentioned in FAQ to convert them to M3u format.When I try to add the new folder to MM using file-add menu, it says importing from itunes and nothing appears in MM library.Any help would be appreciated!
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

ok... the term playlist may be confusing here. Playlists are not the same as songs. You need to have the songs in a format recognisable by MM before you transfer "playlists" (or m3u files) which are simply text file lists of the song locations. The converters you used simply create these "location" files (m3u), but do nothing with the tracks themselves.

If your songs have been ripped into m4a formats (AAC), then you'll still need to install an AAC plugin from the page I linked to in my previous msg. Then once installed, you can scan for the m3u file I guess.

At least that's my understanding, although I've never used them.