lyric tagger

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pheare

lyric tagger

Post by pheare »

Hey all,

Love MM, just wish it would tag lyrics via an internet look-up db.

Can anyone recommend a good program for tagging lyrics via some sort of database lookup. Preferably freeware.

Thanks.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

See http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 5361#45361 and other threads about this subject (using forum search).
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
pheare

Post by pheare »

Thanks for the reply. I have searched and did find that thread.

I guess I should have been more specific in my original post.

I am looking for something will will do batch lyric tagging. I'd like to do this as part of my post mp3 download process (which also includes adding album art, file renaming, etc) and do not want to necessarily have to listen to the song to add the lyrics.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The general advice is to do it per song and manually as Lyrics are pretty bad normally.
pheare

Post by pheare »

Ok, so tag lyrics individually. Is MiniLyrics working for anyone right now?

Tells me the target machine actively refused my connection. Firewall is set up appropriately.

And I can't open viewlyrics.com in a browser either. Guessing things are down right now.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

yeah i think minilyrics is down, not work for me either
chisao

Fine working Lyrics-Downloader

Post by chisao »

Go to http://www.leoslyrics.com/

Great winamp Plugin to find there, works super.
1 second and you get the lyrics directly integrated in your MP3s.

Have fun ...
Manfred Eller
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Winamp 2
We might consider porting the plugin back to Winamp 2, but this isn't a very high priority. Winamp 2 users are encouraged to upgrade to Winamp 5.
Afaik, this plugin won't work on MediaMonkey either then...

Does it support syncronized/timed lyrics, or just plain text lyrics (which is much less useful...)?
And does it do songs in batch or, just like other programs, only when you play the songs?
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

lyrics tagging tool

Post by Guest »

Steegy wrote:
Winamp 2
We might consider porting the plugin back to Winamp 2, but this isn't a very high priority. Winamp 2 users are encouraged to upgrade to Winamp 5.
Afaik, this plugin won't work on MediaMonkey either then...

Does it support syncronized/timed lyrics, or just plain text lyrics (which is much less useful...)?
And does it do songs in batch or, just like other programs, only when you play the songs?
The leoslyrics-plugin will be integrated in Winamp. So you have to mark the songs you will change or update the lyrics in MediaMonkey and draw them to your Winamp window. Winamp will play the songs of that playlist and call the leoslyrics-plugin.

The plugin searches for lyrics integrated in mp3 file and displays them or - if there are no lyrics - it searches with automaticly provided artist and title information in Leoslyrics database (1 second !!!). If directly found suiting lyrics they are directly saved in your mp3 file and you are able to change theses lyrics before and after any time. If not found suiting lyrics, you get displayed 10 other lyrics suiting to artist or tile to choose the right one. And you can change any time the artist and title information to find the best and correct lyrics you need.

I don´t suggest masstagging, with other tools I got a lot of wrong lyrics, so you should control this by your eyes. And it really finds almost every song olso very olds - so if your artist and title information in the Mp3s is really correct, you should manage around 20 songs per minute (inclusive a short eyecheck).

For checking, sorting and displaying the mp3s with lyrics in a list view directly I would strongly suggest a freeware http://www.mp3tag.de/ which really is a powerful tool to display and update your mp3s.

For syncronized/timed lyrics then afterwards you could use MM with a script called Lyric timer. But I haven´t tested it till now.

If interested I can send you screenshots ...
qualitycontrol

Post by qualitycontrol »

miniLyrics is great. I like to keep everything in the tags (album art, album reviews, lyrics etc...) so I wouldn't have to worry about linking and associations to files and I can freely move my mp3's around. I want my music folder to contain no other files except music files.

I have miniLyrics set up to embed the lyrics into the mp3 and save a copy to the lyrics folder...and it worked great for me on winamp. That setting doesn't seem to work on MM. The lyrics get downloaded and linked to the folder but it doesn't embed to the actual mp3. Tried doing it manually and I got an error saying MM can't open the song coz it's playing...so I have to stop playing the song everytime I want to save lyrics? :cry:

So I guess that answers why Teknojnky has the same problem on this topic: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6755
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

MiniLyrics should work fine. If it works fine on Winamp but not on MediaMonkey, then we can blame both the MM devs (MM should behave completely like WA) as the ML devs (they say that ML is supported on MM, so they shoud ensure so).
but it doesn't embed to the actual mp3.
How do you test this? MediaMonkey won't show any changes to the tags because the changes happened externally. To see the changes to the lyrics tag, you have to enable File Monitor (MM Gold only) or rescan the file.

Cheers
Steegy
qualitycontrol

Post by qualitycontrol »

Steegy wrote:MiniLyrics should work fine. If it works fine on Winamp but not on MediaMonkey, then we can blame both the MM devs (MM should behave completely like WA) as the ML devs (they say that ML is supported on MM, so they shoud ensure so).
I thought so too. I guess it's exactly what the error message shows, that ML can't write to the mp3 because MM apparently has a lock on it. Weird coz you can do file renames and other tag modification while playing on MM and the worst that you get is a skip or stutter but the changes apply...so I thought it would be the same for lyric tags.
Steegy wrote:
but it doesn't embed to the actual mp3.
How do you test this? MediaMonkey won't show any changes to the tags because the changes happened externally. To see the changes to the lyrics tag, you have to enable File Monitor (MM Gold only) or rescan the file.
Well, I do have File Monitor on and I did multiple rescans. I also checked with an external tag program (Tag & Rename)...nothing. On winamp it is more apparent the the tag is being written because you hear the glitches at the beginning of the playback. But with MM it simply doesn't write and ML just relies on the downloaded file associated for lyrics display.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

MiniLyrics (the latest version) works fine on MM 2.5 for me. I haven't tested it on MM3.
If you continue to have problems, e.g. even after a reboot, then I suppose you best contact CrintSoft Support about that.
qualitycontrol

Post by qualitycontrol »

You mean...ML is able to write lyrics tags on your mp3's..like if you check the properties for the mp3 on the lyrics tab?? hmm... I'm using latest versions for both MM2.5.5.996 and ML4.6.2280. I guess I'd have to check with crintsoft with that. :-?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

If you want the lyrics to show up when you right click the song and hit properties then find the lyrics tab, you've got to save two lyrics tags to the song, synchronized and unsynchronized ID3v2. If you only save the synchronized lyrics to the tag, it is there but it won't show in mediamonkey's lyrics tab - only unsynchronized ID3v2 will show up there.