Two track entries appear for same physical file?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rvonder

Two track entries appear for same physical file?

Post by rvonder » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:54 am

Hi -
Am using MM Gold 2.5.4.978, and have a very strange problem where second "phantom" track entries appear. There is only one copy of each actual MP3 file on the physical hard drive, but after adding tracks to MM using 'add/rescan', I sometimes see the same track listed twice. These two entries will be precisely identical - same tags, same path, same filename. And they're interlocked: If I click on either one of the track entries (which are, of course, right next to each other in the list), the song begins playing and BOTH track entries become bold! And if I delete either track entry, BOTH of them disappear.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this that I can find, but it happens often enough that it's making me crazy. I have run 'Maintain Library...' (no change); I have checked the 'dead links' node (they don't appear there); I have tried doing an 'add/rescan' on the subfolder containing that album -- nothing seems to work.

I've spent hours searching the forum but didn't find anything like this.

Has anyone else seen this, and more importantly, are there any suggestions to fix it short of completely deleting my MM database and starting from scratch? (Even if I did this, I'm not convinced that these phantom tracks wouldn't start reappearing anyway!)

Thanks for any suggestions!
Rob

rvonder

Post by rvonder » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:18 am

Amazing... I've been going nuts over this for months. I post the question this morning, and then make one last try to fix it... and I did.

The problem was that the actual tracks are stored on an external drive connected via USB. It is permanently mapped in XP as drive 'H:', and I had of course added that H: drive as a 'Location' that shows as "HD:OneTouch (H:)" in the library. But somehow, at some point, MM had added another location node called "net:OneTouch (H:)".

So when I browsed the library by Location all was well -- but if I used the 'Artist' node, I saw lots of duplicate entries. Not every track was duplicated, though, because I've only added new tracks to the "real" HD location -- and it's only that location that's set up for automatic monitoring.

So the lesson is to be sure that the same location doesn't somehow become mapped both as a "real" HD and a virtual "net" HD.

This is embarrassing because I'm not at all a MM 'noob'. But I'll leave this posting just to document the solution in case someone else comes along searching for it!
Rob

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:35 pm

I'm glad you worked it out! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

tableguy

Post by tableguy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:43 pm

Can a USB drive be permently mapped on two different machines? Desktop it comes up as x: and laptop y:

rvonder

Post by rvonder » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:35 pm

Yes, it can. My external USB drive is plugged into my desktop machine as an H: drive, and I've set its permissions to allow network sharing. So I've also been able to set up permanent mappings (also as H: for consistency) on my two wireless laptops. Works great.

I have MM on all three machines, and have set up automatic monitoring of the H: drive on both laptops. Since I'm pretty religious about tagging (including album art within the track tags), any changes I make via my desktop are automatically reflected in the laptop MM libraries.

I had originally tried to be clever, using a single MM database that was accessible via all three machines. But database access via wireless was just too slow (things like search took forever!), so I went to having a separate database on each machine. With automatic monitoring, it works very well.
Rob

Peke

Post by Peke » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:43 pm

@rvonder
If you agree to write this setup of yours in some sort of Tutorial I think that lots of MM users will thank you for that.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:27 pm

It's adviced to use the UNC path instead of the mapped drive when working over the network. When using the mapped drive duplicates can occur.

As for drive letters, if you use an external USB drive on various computers conecting via USB you don't have to worry about the drive letter. MediaMonkey use the driveID instead which is the same on any machine.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)