Can MediaMonkey access a DAAP server?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MrE

Can MediaMonkey access a DAAP server?

Post by MrE »

I've switched from Windows to Linux more than a year ago and sadly miss MediaMonkey. My girlfriend however is still on Windows XP--using MediaMonkey--and would like to access my music collection which I have shared using Firefly Media Server (mt-daapd).

I have been searching all over the forum and what I have gathered so far is that MediaMonkey does not (yet) include a DAAP streaming server, and that this is a wishlist feature.
What I can't seem to find however is information about MediaMonkey being able to access a DAAP share.

Is this possible, and if so, how? And if not, is this planned?

Thanks
MrE
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I think that MediaMonkey can access anything Windows can access, but I might be wrong on this.

Can you access the device through it's UNC with Windows Explorer or MediaMonkey?
MrE

Post by MrE »

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified that I am running Firefly Media Server on Linux, not Windows.

I think what you are referring to is access to a plain network share, which I can do on my Linux box using Samba (Windows networking for Linux); I have shared my music folder on Linux as you would do in Windows XP, and I have mapped a network drive on my girlfriend's XP laptop and she can access that in MediaMonkey.

This is, however, not what I am after.

On my laptop--which also runs Linux--I can launch either Amarok (the closest thing to MediaMonkey on Linux, but not quite), Rhythmbox or Banshee (both pure iTunes clones, including the DAAP server) and instead of browsing an ordinary network share to access the music on my desktop, the aforementioned media players simply detect the Firefly Media Server (the new name for mt-daapd, which is in fact just a DAAP server, the feature that several people have already requested for MediaMonkey) and let me play the music stored on my desktop.
See this screenshot here http://banshee-project.org/Image:0_11_0_daap.png Note that at the top it shows Music Library (i.e. the locally stored music), whereas further down it shows Banshee Music Share (highlighted in blue, with a networked computer icon) which is music stored on another PC and made available through DAAP.
This Rhythmbox screenshot shows three DAAP music shares at the bottom
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuu/229039546/
This Amarok screenshot shows a DAAP shared music library. Note the 'Shared Music' at the top. http://www.flickr.com/photos/geek/255656403/

So, my question is, can MediaMonkey directly access a DAAP shared library (whether made available through Firefly, iTunes, Rhythmbox, Banshee or any other type of DAAP server), as shown in these screenshots?

Several of my friends also run MediaMonkey, and when they come over with their laptops, I'd like them to be able to access my DAAP shared music, instead of having browse my network to find my shared music folder and then access that from within MediaMonkey.

Cheers
MrE
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Perhaps if your DAAP can provide a url/stream that MM can connect to, but otherwise I don't think so. You can enter stream/urls by clicking the 'open/eject' button on the player window.

I think this falls under the requests for UPNP client/server support (of which there have been several).
MrE

Post by MrE »

OK, I will give that a try and report the results here later.

Thanks!

Post by Guest »

DAAP auto discovery uses the zeroconf protocol, implemented in linux by Avahi, in MAC's by Rendezvous/Bonjour.
Avahi is the default LGPL solution.

I would love to have zeroconf support on MediaMonkey, it makes sharing music over LAN much, much easier.
saaiberke

Re: Can MediaMonkey access a DAAP server?

Post by saaiberke »

I have the same problem with mediamonkey, I set up a firefly server on my Windows Home Server and I want to access it with mediamonkey. I can with I-tunes but I don't like that program, I'd rather want to use MM to listen to my music over the network.

This topic dates from 2007 already, meanwhile nobody found a way to connect to the firefly server with mediamonkey? I already searched this forum and several other forums but I can't find any info on that.

Any suggestion would be very welcome :)

Grtz,

Nic
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jrsReign

Post by jrsReign »

On my laptop--which aswell runs Linux--I can barrage either Amarok (the abutting affair to MediaMonkey on Linux, but not quite), Rhythmbox or Banshee (both authentic iTunes clones, including the DAAP server) and instead of browsing an accustomed arrangement allotment to admission the music on my desktop, the above media players artlessly ascertain the Firefly Media Server (the new name for mt-daapd, which is in actuality just a DAAP server, the affection that several humans accept already requested for MediaMonkey) and let me play the music stored on my desktop.

_____
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

jrsReign wrote:On my laptop--which aswell runs Linux--I can barrage either Amarok (the abutting affair to MediaMonkey on Linux, but not quite), Rhythmbox or Banshee (both authentic iTunes clones, including the DAAP server) and instead of browsing an accustomed arrangement allotment to admission the music on my desktop, the above media players artlessly ascertain the Firefly Media Server (the new name for mt-daapd, which is in actuality just a DAAP server, the affection that several humans accept already requested for MediaMonkey) and let me play the music stored on my desktop.
What's your point?

gumbootiner

Post by gumbootiner »

I'd purchase the gold version if this option were included. Many open source players have this feature so use their source if you don't want to write your own, either way it should be in MM.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

gumbootiner wrote:I'd purchase the gold version if this option were included. Many open source players have this feature so use their source if you don't want to write your own, either way it should be in MM.
Great, because it will be in MM 4.0.

gumbootiner

Post by gumbootiner »

Excellent! :D

Post by Guest »

This still doesn't appear to be working. I'm using MediaMonkey Gold 4.0.2.1462 and firefly-1696. When I expand the "Media Servers" node in MediaMonkey, it scans and tells me there are no servers available. Is this expected to work?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can see Media Servers here.