File Monitor does not find tracks on scan of library folders

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

ebombme

File Monitor does not find tracks on scan of library folders

Post by ebombme »

I have a library of about 12 gigs of mp3s on a separate partition of my hard drive (the D drive) and I cannot get mediamonkey to add any of the tracks from this library to my MediaMonkey library. The first time I installed MediaMonkey this feature worked fine.

!!! RESOLUTION FOUND: !!!
Created new library root folder, and copied all Artist>Album Name sub directories into it. Immediate MediaMonkey started picking up files from the file scan.

Steps I have tried:
Checked that the correct folder is selected
Selected startup scan
Tried to rescan the folder (many times)
I have reinstalled MediaMonkey
I have checked that the MP3 file type is selected for my library
I have cleared the entire libraries data
Updated to newer version of mediamonkey release version
And yes I own a registered copy of MediaMonkey so that the file monitoring should be enabled... (I am a loyal paying customer asking for support here)

Obviously I am probably doing something wrong, but I have seen one other user in the forums at least having the same problem. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

I have had to revert to using Windows Media Player (EWWW!) because it will monitor my folder changes.
Last edited by ebombme on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thanks,
-eBombMe
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

First makes sure the correct folder is monitored and that startup scan is selected. You can also try Add/Rescan Tracks to see if that also doesn't work. If neither work getting the Mad plugin from the MediaMonkey Add-Ons page might solve this issue.
ebombme

Post by ebombme »

I have tried the first two suggestions (Lowlander) posted to me prior to the post even. However I don't see how adding a (IMPORTANT) DECODING plugin that runs while the files are being played is going to help MediaMonkey locate tracks on my hard drive. If I am missing something here that MAD does but isn't explained please let me know. I don't want to add another layer of software to the problem before I get the real issue fixed.
tommae88

Post by tommae88 »

Something like this happened to me once, and it wasn't pretty =/. The only thing that eventually worked for me was COMPLETELY getting rid of MediaMonkey (.ini and database too) and then re-install completely. When I tried again, everything added as it was supposed to -- i would wait for some other suggestions though, as this isn't exactly an ideal solution =(
grackel

same

Post by grackel »

I too am having problems with mediamonkey not adding all of the tracks off a network drive. It added most of the files and then just stopped in the middle of the "S's". Tried everything with ADD/RESCAN and FILE MONITOR and nothing. I even cleared the library and did a ADD/RESCAN. very irritating.
lightrider

Post by lightrider »

I found this thread because I was having the same problem. I have only recently started using Media Monkey and only have the free version.

After initially loading all my tracks to my library with no problem, no tracks could be added by rescanning for newly added folders. Nothing would happen at all.

I found my answer in the FAQs. There is a conflict if the Virtual CD directory is inside the directory you are trying to scan. I changed that and Media Monkey was immediately able to add tracks from my new directories.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/faq/index.ph ... artlang=en

I hope this solves your problem - it's always good when the answer is simple...
grackel

Post by grackel »

Thanks for the link. The virtual Cd info doesn't apply to my problem, but the last bit of information concerning network issues seems to be it. I'll have to play around with it.

Thanks again for the info.
ebombme

Resolved my issue

Post by ebombme »

I fixed my issue, but still doesn't know what was causing it. What fixed it was I created a new child level root directory directly underneath the parent level drive letter for my music libray and moved all the subfolders into it. However it was not permission related because both directories are inheriting their security permission set from the parent level drives permissions set. I assume it had to be something in the NTFS file system, or something to do with read only files possibly, but there is no way to tell since I do not have the will, nor enough time to go digging into the inner workings of the NTFS file system for information.
Last edited by ebombme on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ebombme

Post by ebombme »

And thanks to all who have replied with help. It is appreciated.
grackel

Idjut

Post by grackel »

I'm an idjut... kind of, anyway. looks like the network path wasn't correct under File Monitor settings. I know for a fact it was set to the network path, but somehow it changed so that it was trying to access the files in a local directory (e.g. instead of \\192.XXX.X.X\music it was listed as C:\music). It's working fine now. I'll repost if it happens once again.
TechNiko

Post by TechNiko »

lightrider wrote:I found this thread because I was having the same problem. I have only recently started using Media Monkey and only have the free version.

After initially loading all my tracks to my library with no problem, no tracks could be added by rescanning for newly added folders. Nothing would happen at all.

I found my answer in the FAQs. There is a conflict if the Virtual CD directory is inside the directory you are trying to scan. I changed that and Media Monkey was immediately able to add tracks from my new directories.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/faq/index.ph ... artlang=en

I hope this solves your problem - it's always good when the answer is simple...
THANK YOU! Fixed my problem =)