Recorded Year/Released Year

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

CrimsonClover

Recorded Year/Released Year

Post by CrimsonClover »

Hey all,
I am seeking advice on a topic relating to the year in which songs were recorded then finally released. For the most part it is not an issue with the album. However, I have some compilations where the song was a recorded a few years back and did not apear on an album. I make a lot of my playlists chronologicaly, therefore, these songs will either be missed or appear at the wrong time. Would it be better for me to create a Custom Field for the recorded year or can I get away with having an album with multiple years?

Example: Bob Dylan's Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window was released in 1985 on Biograph, however the song was recorded in 1965 or 1966. The other songs on that album were recorded at various times as well. I would much prefer the song to appear with songs of the 1960's rather than 1980's.

Thank you.
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

MM3 supports 2 year information for each song so you could then put your info there in.
What you only have to do is wait :wink:
pah68

Post by pah68 »

MM2 has an original year field too............doesn't it?
CrimsonClover

Post by CrimsonClover »

Cool. I'm not going to ask when MM3 will be available, but it looks like it is being tested right now so it can't be that far off. Could I go ahead and create a custom field for the Original Year and after the new version comes out just transfer the information over? If I can, is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

Sorry, I dont' want to destroy your dreams, but pah68 is right. MM3 has 2 year fields for each song but MM2 has it already too but you can sort or filter only by one. :roll:
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

CrimsonClover: "Original Year" is the tag you want to use. Use one of Steegy's excellent tag copying scripts to populate it (SwitchOrCopyFields or ExtractFields).
CrimsonClover

Post by CrimsonClover »

I just installed the Switch Or Copy Fields script and did a small amount. It looks like it is going to work like a charm. Now, it appears all I have to do is wait for MM3 to come out, right?