Disappearing Library?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Trixie.in.Dixie

Disappearing Library?

Post by Trixie.in.Dixie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:11 pm

I use MediaMonkey quite a bit, opening and closing it nearly every day. Today was the first time I got the pop-up notice that the new 2.5.5 version was available for download.

I did not attempt to remove or alter what I already had in Media Monkey. I closed it before attempting to install the new version. I have a lifetime Gold membership.

I installed it to the same location that it was before, as I always do with any kind of software update, and it completed replaced my .mdb file with a brand new, empty one.

I am rescanning my computer to replace all of the tracks, but this seems idiotic. Why did my database file get overwritten? That just doesn't make any sense.

I have a feeling that I'm in for a lot of work to get my library back to the way it was. :x

Trixie.in.Dixie

Post by Trixie.in.Dixie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:08 pm

The most frustrating part now is going to be fixing all the tags that I spent hundreds of hours fixing (and saving) before! :evil:

Bex

Post by Bex » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:02 pm

Never heard of that before. If you search for mediamonkey.mdb (also in hidden folders) what do you find?
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts

Trixie.in.Dixie

Post by Trixie.in.Dixie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:18 pm

There is an mdb file, of course. It's just that when I installed the newer version, it replaced my mdb file with a brand new, empty one.

Bex

Post by Bex » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:57 am

Well, there should be an empty one in the program folder and a second one in the "my music/mediamonkey" folder, which is the one that's used. If you have tried the MM3 alpha your db could have been moved to a hidden folder.

I never heard of an upgrade that deleted the existing database. But if it's really is gone you might be lucky and find one mediamonkey.mdb~mdb file in your "my music/mediamonkey" which could renamed and used.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:16 am

depending on how old a version you had when you got the notice to update to the new 2.5.5 998 version, it might have
been the new database they changed to in the 2.5.5 versions.

that would have changed the mdb file it did on mine but it did make the back up of the old mdb.

still if that is what happend you won't beable to use the old database since they changed to a new one.

so rescan the songs in the system and then check the tags they might be already saved in the song file and you won't have to retype any or much of them.

when you go to mm 3 it changes to a new database also. but it will beable to import the old one's information so thats a huge help. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:11 am

Question: Do you have a database manually specified in the mediamonkey.ini file, and is that database "mediamonkey.mdb" in the MM program folder?

If so, then that is why it got overwritten, MM keeps a new/clean database in the mediamonkey folder, and if you update/re-install it will get over written.

You have 2 choices, move the database out of the MM program folder, or simply rename it. For example, I use "MyMediamonkey.mdb".