Hotkey for "Next track"?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Hotkey for "Next track"?

Post by Guest »

In iTunes I get the next track using the right arrow button.

Is it possible to configure one of the standard buttons to do this in MM? I do not wan to use two buttons... (But I think the right arrow is already in use by MM)
Maaspuck

keyboard shortcuts

Post by Maaspuck »

There are several keyboard shortcuts you may use, e.g.

Previous Track <Ctrl><b> or <Ctrl><Alt><left arrow>
Next Track (forward) <Ctrl><n> or <Ctrl><Alt><right arrow>

Or look here

or in the online help file...

Regards

Maapuck

Post by Guest »

I know about the alternatives. My question was about getting the next track with ONE button. No ctrl... or alt.....

I often listen to music while I read a book, and I need a fast one-hand way to skip a track.
Maaspuck

uups

Post by Maaspuck »

Hi,

uups, i was a bit too fast while reading your first post (sorry about that), but maybe there is another solution. I wrote a script where you can go forward and backward within one song with a single key. I just tried to rewrite it in order to be able to jump to the next or previous song instead. Jumping to the next song works fine but playing the previous does nothing at the moment. I hope to find the solution later. But for some testing here is the unfinished version of my script.

Code: Select all

'
' OneKey 2 v1.0
' 
' This script allows fast jump to the next or previous track with a single key
'
' first version: 2007-08-17
' last version : 2007-08-17
'
' Installation:
' - just copy this code to a new text file, name it 'OneKey.vbs'
'   and save into your 'MediaMonkey\Scripts\Auto'-Folder
'
Option Explicit

Sub OnStartup()
	'
	Dim MenuItemFolder, MenuItemBackward, MenuItemForward
	'
	Set MenuItemFolder = SDB.UI.AddMenuItemSub(SDB.UI.Menu_Scripts,1,1)
	MenuItemFolder.Caption = "OneKey 2..."
	'
	Set MenuItemBackward = SDB.UI.AddMenuItem(MenuItemFolder,2,1)
	MenuItemBackward.Caption = "Previous Song"
	MenuItemBackward.ShortCut = "9"
	MenuItemBackward.UseScript = Script.ScriptPath
	MenuItemBackward.OnClickFunc = "PreviousSong"
	'
	Set MenuItemForward = SDB.UI.AddMenuItem(MenuItemFolder,2,2)
	MenuItemForward.Caption = "Next Song"
	MenuItemForward.ShortCut = "0"
	MenuItemForward.UseScript = Script.ScriptPath
	MenuItemForward.OnClickFunc = "NextSong"
	'
End Sub

Sub PreviousSong(MenuItemBackward)
	'
	If SDB.Player.IsPlaying = True Then
		SDB.Player.Previous
	End If
	'
End Sub

Sub NextSong(MenuItemForward)
	'
	If SDB.Player.IsPlaying = True Then
		SDB.Player.Next
	End If
	'
End Sub
nojac

One key script for "Next track"

Post by nojac »

This script is just what I need. And it works like it should: Next track using "0" and previous using "9"

And it works on both MM2 and MM3

Thank you very much, Maaspuck! I think this script deserves a thread in the Scripts forum.

(I was not logged in when I started this thread :oops: )
Chooch

Variation on the same theme

Post by Chooch »

I like how you got this to work. It looks simple enough.

I have a slightly different request though. I tend to listen to music on my laptop, running through my home theater Stereo System, while I play cards or have parties. So, needless to say the screen is across the room and hard to see. I have a remote to control the basic media functions (next, previous, pause). My main qualm is that I can't see what is playing from that distance. I have noticed that I can use milk drop to display the artist and track name (Press "T") and this works very well and is large enough to read from far away.

OK...My question is, how can I get one of the buttons on my remote (it has a few that I don't use (Page Up, Page Down, Etc)) to do the same action at pressing "T"?
Maaspuck

Post by Maaspuck »

Hi Chooch,

i guess that your remote was delivered together with any kind of configuration software. I am not sure but sometimes it is possible to emulate keys. If the unused keys of your remote can be remapped to standard keys, then it could be possible to use the script also for your purpose.

Another idea could be to use other software like "AutoHotkey". May this could be necessary in order to remap and 'translate' between remote control and MediaMonkey. I am not familiar with "autohotkey", but i have heard that it could be used for changing key commands.

Furthermore there might a solution if the remote control software delivers a library file (dll, ocx) which could be used from a script file. But i think this way would be quite complicated and time consuming to code. Additionally, the interface must be well documentated.

Regards

Maaspuck
BMitchell

Re: Hotkey for "Next track"?

Post by BMitchell »

this script is really great, but is there a way to change the keys from the "0" and "9 to the left and right arrow keys, and make it global? i've spent some time to try and change it myself, but don't know the arrow key's id tag, thanks for any help :D
Maaspuck

Re: Hotkey for "Next track"?

Post by Maaspuck »

Hi BMitchell,

thanks for still beeing interested in this (quite) old script. i used to play around a bit with the special keys like "arrow left" or "arrow right". Below you can see the part of the help file I used in 2007 while writing this script which describes the "shortcut" property of the MenuItem. There are codes mentioned for the special keys.

But meanwhile with MM3 and MM4 (in the near future) you do not need this script anymore. Just have a look at the options, where you can configure the shortcut keys including the global option. I just tested it and it worked quite well with the keys "9" and "0" but also with "left" and "right".

Code: Select all

ISDBMenuItem::ShortCut

Property Get/Let ShortCut As String
No parameters 

Property description

String that specifies a shortcut assigned to the item, for example 'Ctrl+Alt+2'. Any standard character can be used, additional keys include: BkSp, Tab, Esc, Enter, Space, PgUp, PgDn, End, Home, Left, Up, Right, Down, Ins, Del and F1-F12. Any key could contain Ctrl+, Alt+ or Shift+ in front of it (and any combination of them).