Duplicate songs by the same artist

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Bundler

Duplicate songs by the same artist

Post by Bundler »

what i'm wondering is this........what does everyone do about the fact that if you have a large collection of music, very often we get several EXACT duplicates of the same song. i don't consider the same song done as a "live performance" a duplicate, i mean having MANY compilations (i.e. soundtrack, various artist, etc.) that can cause waaaaay more of a song to be eating up my storage space than i would prefer.
i don't want to just delete them all, because in the interest of album accuracy i would prefer to keep a link to a song if i try to sort by album. is there a way to have a single song be stored and have it be linked to every album it is on in my collection??
Bundler
kdo

Re: Duplicate songs by the same artist

Post by kdo »

Bundler wrote: is there a way to have a single song be stored and have it be linked to every album it is on in my collection??
I think this has been requested, but I'm not sure if it's gonna actually make it into any new MM version.

At the moment, I use ratings to populate the playlists for playback and then I assign a very low rating to duplicates, so that they are never played or synced.
Bundler

Post by Bundler »

bummer!! i can't imagine that isn't a real selling point for most people with much of a library, :( .
Bundler
Randall Grogan

Post by Randall Grogan »

I diagree, drive space is relatively cheap. My library is large by some standards (110k tracks). Saving storage space is the least of my concerns. Keeping the tracks cleaned and organized is where the effort is spent.

For $79.99 (free shipping, no tax) I can buy another 400GB SATA hard-drive to toss into my RAID array. That works out to be 5GB for a $1, or about about 1/10 of a cent for the average 5mb track.

If you haven't tried it, a NAS (network addressable storage) device is great for storing music.
Bundler

Post by Bundler »

space is NP, i have 2k gigs, i just was hoping to not open an artist and see multiple listings of most of the songs.
Bundler
nojac

Post by nojac »

This issue is discussed in http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16998 (I know you know, Bundler :) )

My "solution" is to keep the track in the original album, but to delete it from compilations (Greatest Hits, Best of the 80's or whatever) I use a custom field for the status of each album (Compl / Compl - dupl / Incompl /OneSong)

I don't care too much about the completeness of compilations.