Slow tagging over network (30 mins for album's art!?)

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

laryu

Post by laryu »

FYI: I sent a debug log as well. My NAS is formatted NTFS. Any help would be appreciated as I currently project it will take a month to finish tagging my collection with Album Art.
vilbs

Post by vilbs »

@laryu: Interesting. So you have an NTFS formatted NAS plugged into a router (ie not USB)? In which case from my understanding a. it is probably a very expensive NAS and b. it is running M$ OS.

If the above is true then it rules out both my thoughts! Damn will have to pursue another avenue...
laryu

Post by laryu »

Vilbs: The NAS is a Lacie Ethernet Disk mini plugged directly into a Netgear switch. According to specs, the NAS is running Axentra HipServ OS. I'm pretty sure it's formatted NTFS and that's what XP is telling me right now (for what that's worth), but I can't remember formatting it, so I'm not certain. And, incidentally, my MM database is local, not on the NAS.
vilbs

Post by vilbs »

@laryu: From my very little knowledge - if a NAS is to use NTFS it needs an Microsoft licence which pushes the price out of domestic league. You can reformat a NAS to NTFS but then it will only work as external harddisk (ie usb) - losing the networking because ostensibly you have wiped the OS. I would be very confident in saying your NAS is FAT32. Having said all this this might be a red herring - hopefully some monkeyboffin will help shed some light!

Thanks for the info
marting

Probably a red herring

Post by marting »

Unless I missing something, these concerns about the details of the NAS are definitely a red herring. I'm using a LaClie NAS with XFS formatted drives connected by Gigabit Ethernet.

The reason why it's a red herring: Other tagging programs are not slow on any of these NASes. Tagging times seem be proportional to the size of the file to be tagged, which seems very wrong. It seems, however, that Mediamonkey is tagging by copying the entire file over again. I wonder if this is a fallback behavior when files cannot be locked?

If there is even a plausible claim that this is the right/paranoid/careful behavior, it should at least be optional. Tagging a 250MB Mp3 is beyond painful at the moment, when it shouldn't take any more time than tagging a 2.5 MB Mp3.
vilbs

Post by vilbs »

@marting: agree with your comments and mm is definitely copying the whole file again - but it is worse than that - as the time it takes to recreate the file is much much greater than copying the file to the nas in the first place. Again a n album that can take 10 seconds in total to copy across can take 30 minutes tagging with artwork.

Anyway my point about the NAS OS wasn't that it is the hardware to blame but possibly the way MM interacts with the hardware that causes a problem.

Again I can't wait until an MM expert blows us all out of the water and tells me "ooops you have got the "run really slow" option ticked in preferences ;)
jiri

Post by jiri »

I was able to reproduce the problem of slow access to some NAS devices. It's ok that MM sometimes copies the whole file again, because there isn't enough space in the current tag to store all information (particularly when a new album art is assigned), but this shouldn't take longer than copying the file from NAS to PC and writing it back. It will be fixed in the next release.

Jiri
vilbs

Post by vilbs »

OMG! I am turning into such a saddo! That news jiri has just made my day. Wahoooo! Can't wait for the next release now :D Thank you thank you.

I am now off to get a life ;)
laryu

Post by laryu »

Awesome. Thanks so much.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Btw, before the new release, you can download updated http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/id3lib.dll and place it in MM folder to check out whether the fix works well for you.

Jiri
laryu

Post by laryu »

Yup. That seems to have solved it. Thanks!
vilbs

Post by vilbs »

arghhh I am stuck at work so can't test it! Will try as well tonight :D Wahooo
gogauchos

first indexing very very slow

Post by gogauchos »

Hey, I just installed MM 3.0.2.1134 and have been indexing my ~5000 songs for almost 24 hours now and am currently about half way through. My music is stored on an HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server. I tried downgrading to MM 2.5 and that version completed the indexing in about 10 minutes. Version 3 is therefore basically unusable for me. Is Version 3 doing a lot more work during the indexing than Version 2.5 does or why would the speed be so much different? Any hope this issue will be resolved soon?

Thanks,

Jason
laryu

Post by laryu »

Did you try patching MM3 with the dll noted several posts above by jiri? That solved the issued on my setup.
babaraccas

Huge improvement!

Post by babaraccas »

I just copied over the id3lib.dll file and noticed an instant improvement. I just tagged a few hundred files with new album art in just a few minutes. The files are stored on my Lacie NAS drive. It has been a big MediaMonkey day for me. First, got my Rio Karma to work, and now this. Great software!