How does MM 'do' audio and Windows kernel streaming issues?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:21 pm

@Rozzer: No, I don't hear any differnce. But I also jsut did a quick test. Try it out on your system it cann bi different. A problem I read about is also when the sound gets resampled in the soundcard - if that happens then you can hear a difference if you use different output-plugins!

The different volume is really a problem! It's known that you mean that it sound betetr when it's louder! so try to set to the same volume. Then you'll probalby not notice any difference - if you don't have the above resample-problem.
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design

Rozzer

Post by Rozzer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:34 am

Ok.. Will do.. Thanks...

jaynyc

Post by jaynyc » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:55 pm

Using a TC Electric Connect Live firewire audio interface, I find the Otachu ASIO plugins with Media Monkey to be extremely unstable. In fact, when they do play, the sound still isn't quite right.

MM3 with waveoutput plugin (comes standard) is better for me than Otachu ASIO. However, Foobar2000 with FooAsio is the best audio I have ever heard from my PC. Unfortunately, Foobar just doesn't have all the easy-to-use functionality of MM3.

I wish someone at MM would write a native dedicated ASIO output plugin for MM3 so we would all finally have best of both worlds.

FYI - there will be many who read this post who think MM Otachu ASIO is fine and that FooAsio does not and cannot sound any better.

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:36 pm

FWIW, I find MediaMonkey2's output to be muffled somewhat when compared to MusicMatch which is why I was just searching for a way to improve the volume.

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:37 pm

Using waveout seems to have fixed the muffled problem. Hooray!

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:38 pm

Bump...
Unfortunately I can't use Steve Monks' Kernel Streaming plugin in MediaMonkey 3 :cry: MM3 freezes each time I try to play a song, the other (default) output plugins work without any problem. In MM2 on the other hand the Kernel Streaming plugin works like a charm.

Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:22 am

The Monks plug-in works like a charm for me with SPDIF
My jaw's on the floor right now!

However MM3 does lock for me if outputting to USB.

Simon Chick

Optimizing MM sound output

Post by Simon Chick » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:12 am

Apologies for long absence after initiating this thread.

First off an assurance that I am re-ripping, not converting mp3s to flac, which would indeed be a pointless activity :roll:

All the plugins mentioned still crash MM2 (last release) for me, as reported in the previous thread which I linked in my initial post on this one. Maybe it is indeed because of using USB instead of SPDIF, as mentioned in the last post.

I think jaynyc had it right:
I wish someone at MM would write a native dedicated ASIO output plugin for MM3 so we would all finally have best of both worlds.
After all of this I still don't feel we have actually gained an understanding of the issues here, which remains a frustration.

Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:37 pm

My desk is covered in blood from all the head bashing this week.
OK I'm kidding.

I've had no success getting the Monkey to dance to AISO or KS with USB.
I've had mixed success with SPDIF however my best DAC is USB.
Winamp and Foobar are no problem.

It sure would be nice to have the best possible sound from the best featured player.
:lol:

Simon Chick

ASIO plugins crash MM

Post by Simon Chick » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:27 am

Mthrsuperior, are you in MM2 or MM3? It certainly sounds like you have had a very similar experience to me.

I wish we could get wider interest on this, as I think the developers are missing an opportunity to take the battle to Foobar by demonstrating equal hi-fi ability next to the no-contest win on interface and flexibility.

If the sound output potential was demonstrably equal or better AND clearly explained, who would need Foobar for anything?

Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:21 pm

Roger loud and clear Simon.

Not to badger the developers of a fine product but DARN!
So close to total domination. =)

It's MM3 I'm using.
I haven't even tried MM2 with the bit-perfect plugins.

I have a Meier Corda Opera on the way.
I'll be interested to play around as this headphone amp has a gorgeous DAC and both SPDIF and USB inputs.
:D
This will be the first time I've been able to put the plug-ins to the test with the same DAC. I have Keces DA-151 (USB)and a Benchmark DAC1 (SPDIF)so I'm very curious to compare plug-ins with the same piece of hardware.
:lol:

GMGJ

MM on HTPC with Kernel Streaming using S/PDIF digital out

Post by GMGJ » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:38 am

I am trying to configure an HTPC and my existing Home Theater to play HD blu-ray discs and to use MM for my audio jukebox.

In order to get Dolby Digital 5.1 for blu-ray I have to do this in Vista (Start > Control Panel > Sound) and take the soundcard's S/PDIF Digital Output to my receivers DD 5.1 in.

Since the sound card is using S/PDIF out , Will MM pass a Dolby Digital Stereo (Analog or Digital) signal over the digital output?

I do not understand enough about pass- thru and Steve Monks' Kernel Streaming plugin in MediaMonkey 3. Does the ouptut from his plugin go to the selected output and what do you think happens when it hits my receiver?

If there is not an acceptable high quality audio way of doing this, what else could I do to have my HTPC and receiver be both a DD 5.1 player and a high quality stereo?

Turtle Beach says they do this

"soundcards with optical S/PDIF Out are all capable of AC3
pass-through (Dolby Digital/DTS data sent thru S/PDIF Out). They also
can send PCM audio data (stereo)"

Full details at
http://home.comcast.net/~adgjtwo/htsetNew.htm

Some Details

Digital jukebox ( Media Monkey)
Playing Web based Content (Firefox)
Digital Slideshow used with Digital Jukebox and Media Monkey Visualizations ( Slideshow.exe - We work out to this)
OTA DVR (built into Windows Vista Home Premium)
Play Blu-Ray and regular old DVDs

The HTPC is pretty much a standalone PC, its networked to get access to internet, file transfer, backup, administration and use of other network connected devices (printer) easy.
We are not planning on do much with streaming music or video from this system to the rest of the house.
I may try and connect a pair of speakers in the living room or dining room to play music; however, I probably would hard wire them or use some sort of wireless connection.
My favorite way of thinking about this is, I get rid of my old DVD player, get an HTPC that plays new and old DVDs, is my digital jukebox and I get an OTA DVR for free

GMGJ

In Vista kernel mixer (or k-mixer) replaced by WaveRT port

Post by GMGJ » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:37 pm

In Vista kernel mixer (or k-mixer) replaced by WaveRT port

So if I run Vista, how do I get MM pass thru to my AVR recevier? I think I need to understand more about MM talks to the sound card in order to feel comfortable setting this up.

I am probably making this a lot more complicated than it has to be.

For Example, if you had the on the motherboard sound chipset using Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Click Control Panel.
Click Hardware and Sound.
Click Realtek HD Audio Manager. Click the Speakers tab to open that control screen.
Click the Speaker Configuration tab.
Select your type of speakers from the drop-down menu.

Hopefully ; somewhere there would be an option for pass thru

For more info you can try here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output see the links in this article about ASIO

excerpt

In Windows Vista, KMixer has been removed and replaced by a new WaveRT port driver. WaveRT cannot provide synchronized audio to multiple devices and does not support external clocks.[1]

Link to Mickeysoft
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/au ... tport.mspx

excerpt

The hardware vendor supplies a WaveRT miniport driver to perform the hardware-specific tasks for the filter. For information about PortCls, WaveCyclic, and WavePci, see the WDK documentation.

Lona

Post by Lona » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:00 pm

I really hope the developers of MediaMonkey wrote 'Kernel Streaming' on their todo list of the final version of MediaMonkey 3. A tailored streaming plugin written purely to serve MediaMonkey would make MediaMonkey the best manager and player.
Unfortunately Monk's kernel streaming plugin doesn't work work for me when I try play music using the RCA plugs of my Audiophile 2496 :(

bailso

Post by bailso » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:32 am

I have just tried Monks kernel streaming in MM2 through USB without any joy.

Can anyone confirm that kernel streaming through a USB port does yield an improvement in sound?

I store my music in wav files and am using an upsampling DAC in my CD player through its digital input just using the standard MM2 wave output plug-in and there doesn't seem to be much difference (if any) in sound quality to when when using the original CD in the CD players transport.