.m4a tagless after copying/.m4a does not convert

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Spaggy

.m4a tagless after copying/.m4a does not convert

Post by Spaggy »

I have two questions:

I tried to copy all of my iPod audio to a folder on my computer by selecting all audio files on my iPod in MM and doing Send To -> Folder (Copy). There were no errors during the copying, but out of the approx. 900 audio files that appeared, 700 were mp3's and 200 .m4a files. All of the mp3 files had artist. title, album, year, etc. tags like before, but the .m4a files only had the filename (GTXQ.m4a, for example). I know .m4a is the same as .mp4, but doesn't the files have tags like normal?

Because of the above, I tried to convert all files to mp3 and copy to a folder on my computer by selecting all the tracks on my iPod and going Send To -> Folder (Rip/Convert). After a while it told me that it couldn't convert due to possible DRM issues. Does anyone have any idea what I should do?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

What version of MM?

MM 2.x only supports playback of m4a files (not tagging or metadata), while mm3 more fully supports m4a files.
Spaggy

Post by Spaggy »

MM 2.5.5.
How can I upgrade to MM3?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

the beta forum, sticky thread, last post, has the most recent build.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

The beta is available for download in the beta part of the forum:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4&start=15

Keep in mind it is still experimental software and you may want to make a backup of your music files before using.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

Teknojnky wrote:What version of MM?

MM 2.x only supports playback of m4a files (not tagging or metadata), while mm3 more fully supports m4a files.
I wasn't able to convert m4a > mp3 in 3 though. Is this not supported (yet)?
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
daelin73

Post by daelin73 »

spacefish wrote:

You can, at least with Apple Lossless M4A which is what mine uses. The only thing it doesn't seem to be able to do is M4A encoding, but it decodes them fine.

I ended
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

daelin73 wrote:
spacefish wrote:

it decodes them fine.
What plugin do you use to decode them? As I said, I couldn't convert m4a > mp3. MM gave me a message that it couldn't convert them due to possible DRM restrictions. The files are not licensed in any way.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

spacefish, are you able to play the m4a file in MM? If yes and you do not use any special plugin for converting then it should work. Can you send me the track to ls<att>mediamonkey<com> so that I am able to reproduce?

Thanks.
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

Actually, I can't. I never tried playing them first, but they play in Winamp fine so there's definitely nothing wrong with them. This is a show someone recorded off the radio. He just happens to be an iTunes user. When I try to play them in MM, they just grey out, one by one. Which plugin is supposed to handle the files? Is it the AAC plugin (f_aac.dll)? I don't see one for m4a. I know my flacs convert just fine. If you still want a file to look at, please post again and I'll email you one.

Update: I just saw this article:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... 99&nav=0,5

In fact, I do NOT have Quicktime installed. (Quicktime is evil.) Is this the reason I can't play those files in MM? If so, why does MM require Quicktime when Winamp does not and are there any alternatives that will work instead of Quicktime?
WebNodes