umm... think I did something stupid

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

sukelis

umm... think I did something stupid

Post by sukelis »

I'm very sick today so not thinking too clearly. I apologize if this has been discussed, but I didn't find it when I searched.

Last week I was doing a round of hardware changes on assorted PCs in the house and swapped out the disks in my PC for bigger ones. To do this I booted into Disk Director and copied the partitions. When everything was done the disks had exactly the same names, letters, etc, they were just bigger (and physically new). But I didn't think about MM before I did this, and now MM... is confused.

At first, all the Library entries were greyed out and didn't work, but I could still get at them through the My Computer node. Then I realized that v3 was released, so I upgraded. But I missed the warning about scripts, so then I uninstalled and re-installed. Then I decided it was high time to buy my Lifetime License. So now I have v3 Gold, but now I have *TWO* entries for every song in the library, one works, the other is greyed out and doesn't.

Under location I have two entries. The 1st one is "HD:StorDisk (E: )", which has a S/N of E47D-91AA. The 2nd one is "HD:StorDisk", which has a S/N of F2D6-A085. I couldn't get Windows Explorer to divulge the disk's serial numbers, but when I open a command prompt window and do a dir on drive E, it echoes the serial number as E47D-91AA. So, I *think* the first one is the real location. Can I just delete the second one? What's the best way to do this?

Sorry for being an idiot. I suppose I should just wait until I feel better... but I really need some music today. :(
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

First, make sure you backup your current library, then download/install Onkel's update media ID script, then go to the location node and remove all duplicate tracks (from the library only) from the new drive..

Once you are back to only having the greyed out tracks in the location for old drive, start the media id script (tools > scripts > move device content) and select the applicable options and it should update the old media id to the new media id.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8975
sukelis

Post by sukelis »

Well, I started trying to follow this. But when I went to backup my database, I noticed that the v3 MM wasn't using it, but had re-created a database in it's default location. So I tried to tell it to go use the one that the v2 MM had used. It wasn't happy about the format, so I re-installed, I tried using the dbupgrade.exe, and so on.

Presently, I can't even get MM to start, since it complains about not being able to update the database format.

So... before I start trying to solve this problem, what data will I lose if I just scratch the whole thing and start over? Remember, I just got my Gold license, so until today I haven't been able to use any Gold features (like auto playlists, etc). My library isn't that big - only about 8 gig - so it's not a lot of time or anything. Is it just easier to start over? Or is there something in the v2 free-version database that I'm gonna miss?

The only references that I could find were to fields like playcounters, etc, and it's an expansion of "etc" that I'm asking about. :o
MusicBringer

Re: umm... think I did something stupid

Post by MusicBringer »

sukelis wrote:... I couldn't get Windows Explorer to divulge the disk's serial numbers, but when I open a command prompt window and do a dir on drive E, it echoes the serial number as E47D-91AA.
Sorry to hear your story sukelis, and sorry but I cannot help you with your MM problem but, in answer to the serial number thingy, I suggest, another time, you try
Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (Version 7.2v)
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Hope that helps :)

Post by Guest »

I found some posts about editing the v2 DB manually, but when I tried it Access wouldn't recognize the DB, so at that point I decided things were just too messed up and I'd need to restore back to the original v2 or just start over, which is what I decided to do. I uninstalled MediaMonkey, deleted the folders from the system and cleaned the registry, so I'd be sure of a clean install. (As a side note, I also finally deleted MusicMatch too! :D )

Then I installed v3 but without any recognized extensions so that it couldn't scan, then registered the Gold and re-directed the database to my preferred location, then set file extensions and let it scan. Everything went well. Now the database is where I want it and I have only one copy of all my files. I did find that I had to re-organize my imported playlists, which I remembered I'd had to do before, but that's not such a big deal. So far, I haven't noticed anything else that is missing, so I probably just wasn't using the features that would have had data just in the database. My ratings are all still there, so that must be synced with the tags.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help! It's good to have music again! Now I need to start playing with what's new in v3 and the Gold features!