offtopic: MP3 silence checker

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

musicfreak

offtopic: MP3 silence checker

Post by musicfreak »

Hi,

this question is offtopic for MM, but as there are so many users and music guys maybe somebody else had the same problem or a solution.

I have a rather hugh music archive. All files were ince ripped from my cd collection. Some files - i have no idea how or why - lost the music.

If I play those files i only get 3, 4, 5 minutes of silence. I allready found and use some MP3 file checkers, but they do not find those files as they are not corrupt - they just contain silence. :-)

Is there a software out there, that can check if a file contains music or not?? I haven't found one yet, but maybe anyone has a hint or a software ready to use.

Any idea or help -> Thank you in advance!!

Markus
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You might want to try this with MM.

Analyze volume and sort on the volume level column. Maybe that silent tracks have a high positive volume level value.

It's worth checking out I guess.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Yes, I think it's a good idea. I'd just like to add that it could possibly happen that MM won't fill any levelling value for such tracks (because simply it cannot know what to do with it, increase volume 1000 times?).

In any case, this method could work for you.

Jiri
musicfreak

Post by musicfreak »

I knew this function must be some where in mediamonkey. :-)

The program is far beyond perfect. :-)

Thanks

Markus
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

But does it work as I suggested? Please report back with your findings.

Post by Guest »

if all else in the above suggestions fail.

then use media monkey to convert them back to a wav file.

it will show up any sound if it is there. and when it is in a wav file you can use a wav editor to increase the volume again. if there is no volume in the wav file after you make it a wav with media monkey then you will see that when you open it in the wav editor.

if there is no sound after you try increasing the sound volume in the editor then something has gone horribly wrong with your system and it is wiping your songs. or some hacker got in by way of a P2P file sharing program and wiped the songs.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

You could also just open the file in audacity. It'll show you a wave form for any kind of audio and a flat line for silence.

Audacity is program that Lowlander put me on to. It's a freebe
musicfreak

Post by musicfreak »

Hi,

the convert idea is not what i am looking for. On the one hand i can open MP3, WMA, OGG or what else in my audio editor and converting over 6000 files ... well that's why i was looking for a software.

The volume idea works rather great!!

I am not sure if i found all "bad" files, but the ones i found contain either silence or only noise (like white noise). The db level is above +40.

Thanks for this idea. It works great. Though my pc took over 12 hours to check the volume level of all files :-)

Markus
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's good news.

Of course if the songs have long periods of silence but some periods of music the volume level will be lower. So these files will be harder to detect. Still with most music from other sources MM calculates a negative value. And either positive or negative it's rarely higher than 10. So any value over 10 could be suspicious I guess.