IPOD Ambum Art

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

corkabias

IPOD Ambum Art

Post by corkabias »

All of my album art shows up in MM but a significant number of songs display on the IPOD 80 GB classic without art. Instead of an album cover there is a large musical note. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Cork
Trajan

Re: IPOD Ambum Art

Post by Trajan »

As you probably surmised, I meant to say Album Art, but I couldn't find a way to change the title. :-?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Trajan wrote:As you probably surmised, I meant to say Album Art, but I couldn't find a way to change the title. :-?
That's because you posted as a guest and weren't logged in when you posted that.
corkabias wrote:All of my album art shows up in MM but a significant number of songs display on the IPOD 80 GB classic without art. Instead of an album cover there is a large musical note. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Cork
How do you sync your iPod?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
corkabias

Post by corkabias »

I sync using MM: Attach to computer - right click on IPOD - select Autosync.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

corkabias wrote:I sync using MM: Attach to computer - right click on IPOD - select Autosync.
In that case, how is your artwork stored? Is it saved in the track's tags or is it an external file? What type of files do you sync with your iPod? Do you use auto-conversion?

Benn

Post by Benn »

I actually have the same problem with my Classic: Art shows when I'm browsing albums and cover flow, but not when it's actually playing. It's just a little annoying really. My art is saved to the tags.
Trajan

Post by Trajan »

nohitter151...

To be honest, I am a bit confused by album art. I have a folder where I keep all of my music and and there are many album covers (jpegs) stored in it. However, I have 4700 mp3's in my collection and there are 3605 covers in the aforementioned folder. Therefore, I am surmising that some are stored in the track's tags and some to an external file. In MM, I have selected to "Save image to tag (if possible) otherwise save to album folder." So, which is the best approach - tags or external file and how can I most easily make the appropriate change?

Thanks!

trajan
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Trajan wrote:nohitter151...

To be honest, I am a bit confused by album art. I have a folder where I keep all of my music and and there are many album covers (jpegs) stored in it. However, I have 4700 mp3's in my collection and there are 3605 covers in the aforementioned folder. Therefore, I am surmising that some are stored in the track's tags and some to an external file. In MM, I have selected to "Save image to tag (if possible) otherwise save to album folder." So, which is the best approach - tags or external file and how can I most easily make the appropriate change?

Thanks!

trajan
Its really a matter of personal preference. I prefer to store art in the track tags because its much easier to manage that way, and there seems to be less problems in terms of syncing to portable devices. The only drawback is that you'll use up a little bit more disk space.

Regarding making changes... it might take quite a bit of work but 2 excellent tools you can use are:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14734 (can display nodes that list tracks by how art is stored)
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8678 (many options for changing how artwork is stored, in batch)

You may also want to check at: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _ipod_sync
that you're following the correct procedure to sync your ipod.

Trajan

Post by Trajan »

Thank you very much nohitter151. I have one more question, if you don't mind. As I indicated above, I have asked MM to store album art in the tag, if possible. But the vast majority of my covers are stored in a folder. Any ideas as to why MM doesn't seem to be able to store the covers in the tags?

Thanks,

trajan
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Trajan wrote:Thank you very much nohitter151. I have one more question, if you don't mind. As I indicated above, I have asked MM to store album art in the tag, if possible. But the vast majority of my covers are stored in a folder. Any ideas as to why MM doesn't seem to be able to store the covers in the tags?

Thanks,

trajan
What kind of files do you have in your library?

Trajan

Post by Trajan »

MP3 only
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Trajan wrote:MP3 only
I'm not sure why it would be happening, then. I've come across a few mp3s that were corrupted and MM couldn't save art to the tag, but only very rarely and I certainly wouldn't expect the majority of your library to be corrupt mp3's. Are you sure that the art isn't in the tag, maybe it has art in the tag as well as external art?

Trajan

Post by Trajan »

nohitter151 wrote:
Trajan wrote:MP3 only
I'm not sure why it would be happening, then. I've come across a few mp3s that were corrupted and MM couldn't save art to the tag, but only very rarely and I certainly wouldn't expect the majority of your library to be corrupt mp3's. Are you sure that the art isn't in the tag, maybe it has art in the tag as well as external art?
If I go to Track Properties and select the "Album Art" tab and a cover is shown, does that mean the cover art is stored in the tag? If the answer is yes, then I do have album art stored in my tags. While we have been discussing this topic, I reformatted my IPOD and synced it and it seems to have corrected the album art issue. I've been pretty busy and haven't had much time to listen to the IPOD, but in advancing through a dozen songs I didn't see any missing covers.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

You can tell where the art is stored by mousing over the art in the properties panel, there should be a popup with the art dimensions and how/where its stored.

Trajan

Post by Trajan »

nohitter151 wrote:You can tell where the art is stored by mousing over the art in the properties panel, there should be a popup with the art dimensions and how/where its stored.
nohitter151,

Upon investigating the numerous album covers stored in my main music folder, it appeared as if they were all superfluous. So, I created a new folder named "Album Art" and moved all the covers there. Now, there are no album covers in my main music folder and all of the album art in MM seems to be displaying properly. In doing random checks, all album covers seem to be stored in the tag.

The next question is how did all of those superfluous album covers get in my music folder? This may be a clue: this morning I added a track to my collection and the cover for that track was added to the entire collection as a second cover (this has happened before). I removed them all with Album Art Tagger (remove all except first) and they are gone. However, I now have as a second image (cover) in "Track Properties - Album Art" in each file, the brown, generic CD case that is used in MM.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this strange behavior and how I can preclude future occurrences?

Thanks for your help with this!

trajan