Install DFX In MediaMonkey

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Hochh2000

Re: Install DFX In MediaMonkey

Post by Hochh2000 »

Still waiting for MM 8.3, but went and read you post again. I originally went to notepad, create an empty
folder and named it winamp.exe and dragged into MM, I got a message that said it already exists, and
will not allowme to drop it in MM. Was that because I had DFX 8.5 installed? Or am I doing something
wrong.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

I'm happy to help, but the first thing you should do is go back and re-read what has already been posted in this and other linked threads.
Completely uninstall DFX. Until you do this you will not be able to run MM.
When you have done this and you have MM up and running again, then install Winamp, then and only then install DFX 8. anything other than 8.5
Follow the instructions I gave here
You need to get DFX 8.5 off your system.
You don't make a folder "winamp.exe" you make a file called "winamp.exe" with notepad and save this file in the MediaMonkey folder (usually c:\program files\mediamonkey) or something similar.
I gave a link to where you can download previous versions of DFX 8.x but this will only work if you do have a serial number for a legit version of DFX
I have stayed with 8.3 which I find works fine.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
Hochh2000

Post by Hochh2000 »

I have read the other post, I am not exactly a computer wiz. I have deleted DFX 8.5, and as I stated one post before, I am still waiting
for 8.3. I was trying not to get long winded, I actually am a legit DFX owner, who lost his serial, tried to spend 9.99 for recovery, but didn't
seem to work out, so I purchased a second license, which will not take me back to 8.3 download, so I went back to support, with multiple
email addresses, so would be able recover original DFX purchase, I have to wait for FX to respond. A lot of this could have been avoided
in the first place honestly, but MM has a link to DFX in their web site for add-ons, and it does not say that you must be a computer programmer
to get it to work. I have tried winamp, media player, real player, itunes, rhapsody, napster, and so on.
I purchased gold MM, and all I'm trying to do is get comfortable here, I actually went after MM because of
dfx link. Had I known before hand, I probably would have went back to another media player that uses, DFX. One thing is for sure
I will end up with a media player that uses DFX, and as soon I make a final decision, the rest of my fellow
collectors will follow. I actually coverted from vorbis to mp3 for the other collectors. The computer system
runs a 4TB server for music, which is connected thru out the house using Sonos. I do appreciate all the help I am getting, but as of now,
DFX will not work. I guess everybody thought I was joking when I asked for a step by step guide on getting this to work in MM. I apologize
for being a burden. :(
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

DFX is not written specifically for MM and as such doesn't have a native installer, this is no fault of MM but does mean you require basic computer skills to adapt it to work with this programme.

Just to be sure I have given the correct instructions I removed all reference to DFX and any reference to Winamp. After following my method DFX is up and running without any problem, so I have re-confirmed that this method is good!.

So, let's go through this step by step assuming you now have DFX8.5 completely removed from your PC as 8.5 at this point in time does not work with MM.
My set-up - MM 3 v3.06.1190 and I am going to install DFX v8.360

Create a Winamp.exe file in notebook. Do this by opening Notebook and then click on FILE and SAVE AS - write in under file name Winamp.exe and save to the MediaMonkey folder which is usually at c:\program files\mediamonkey. You should then see Winamp.exe in the MM folder.

Run the DFX installer. When it looks for Winamp.exe it will not let you proceed further without seeing it. Direct the installer to c:\program files\mediamonkey after which it should let you proceed with the install process.
Note! if the installer is showing c:\program files\mediamonkey\winamp.exe as the path it is trying to search delete part of the path so it looks like this c:\program files\mediamonkey\

Shut down MM or start it if you didn't have it running
Goto Tools\Options\DSP Plugins and check positive the box that says DFX

DFX will start and show on your desktop or tool bar. You can configure the set-up from here.
Note! turn off the MM equalizer as this just gets confused and distorts sound if they are both running.
When you shut-down, DFX should also shut down and it should auto start when you start up MM

That's it!
I hope this is "step by step" enough for you and any one else trying to run DFX
Good Luck and let me know how you get on.
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Hochh2000

Post by Hochh2000 »

MAN, Them Friggin Idiots!

Seems that FXSound only knows how to give you copy and paste answers!!! Before this is over with,
I'm going to get a hacked version of DFX 8.3! Still waiting on these yahoos! I need a drink. 8)
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

They seem pretty uninterested at Power Technologies. I emailed them after 8.5 was released which I was licensed to upgrade to; I let them know it had broken functionality with MM.
I asked if they were considering an installer version for MediaMonkey as MM was growing in popularity etc. To this day I haven't had a reply!

There's more than one way to skin a cat (or so they say) :-?
Hochh2000

Post by Hochh2000 »

YA FRIGGIN HOO!!!!!!!!!

Man, just as contemplated suicide, big daddy got to work, with a little help from
Rapidshare, I was able to get DFX 8.4, and the best thing about it, it took
my serial number! Damn FXSound and their terrible support
To FX SOUND.... KISS MY (Whistle)
To my friend paulmt, I bow, u da man!!!!(or woman)

T
H
A
N
K
S

;)
mazzo

Post by mazzo »

I just bought DFX 9 and now my Monkey has stopped the show. It's waiting for a skin called default_Winamp
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

paulmt wrote:And so there's your problem as the link given to you by nohitter151 to an earlier post I made indicates, there is an issue with MM and DFX v8.5
Roll back to 8.3 and your install will go ok.

Completely uninstall DFX. Until you do this you will not be able to run MM.
When you have done this and you have MM up and running again, then install Winamp, then and only then install DFX 8. anything other than 8.5
Follow the instructions I gave here

If you read down the posts in that thread you will see my comments re: v8.5

Good Luck!
Probably the same issue with 9, so try 8.3 instead.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Lowlander wrote:Probably the same issue with 9, so try 8.3 instead.
I am sure that there was a major change with v8.5 that has meant it and it looks like later versions don't work with MM.

I have left messages for the developers of DFX but to date have never had any response. I am guessing that although MM is expanding it's number of users, this still doesn't warrant DFX to issue a native installer for MM.
Perhaps the only way this could happen is if the MM development team make contact with DFX. To be honest I don't know if this even happens or would make a difference.

Roll back to DFX8.3 and you should be ok.
jv59

Post by jv59 »

I had DFX 8.0 and now I'm using Enhancer for Winamp which installs into MM without any issues. I didn't find much of a difference in the sound quality between DFX and Enhancer .... better yet it's free. Just install it into the MM program directory.

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/81361
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I had no problem getting the installer to install to the C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey folder.

But I still can't see it in: Tools > Options > Player > DSP Plug-ins.

The installer created a folder called Winamp in C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey.

In the C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Winamp folder, there are 4 sub-folders.
Apps
Help
Icons
Presets
Splash

Any ideas what I need to do to get MediaMonkey to see DFX?

PS: The sooner FXsound develop an installer for MediaMonkey, the better it will be for all.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

OK. I uninstalled it, and just installed it to the default folder of:
C:\Program Files\DFX.

I then copied dsp_dfx.dll
from
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\
to
C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Plugins\

That's all. :P

I am not sure why this hasn't been documented somewhere. :-? Maybe someone will show me that it already has. :roll:

PS: I have Winamp installed (but never use it) :lol: .
So I guess for those who don't, you will just have to modify these instructions.

I still reckon that FXsound should release an installer for MediaMonkey. :o
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

Sorry for necroposting but this is a continuation of the thread.

Has anybody managed to install the newest DFX 9.1 in Mediamonkey?
Try as I might, I can't do it - DFX for winamp immediately pops up a message:
DFX for Winamp setup cannot find Winamp on this computer. Winamp is required for this installation to continue.
Please install Winamp first. Installation will exit now.
Doesn't give any option to define a path, just exits.

Running MM 3.1.1256, the MM directory contains both a dummy winamp.exe and a dummy winamp.ini.

I even forcibly extracted the files from the DFX installer using 7zip and dropped
them (most of them, anyway) in the MM/plugins folder. It shows up in the DSP plugins list,
I can enable it - but as soon as I try to play a song, MM crashes immediately!
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

MCSmarties wrote:Sorry for necroposting but this is a continuation of the thread.

Has anybody managed to install the newest DFX 9.1 in Mediamonkey?
Try as I might, I can't do it - DFX for winamp immediately pops up a message:
DFX for Winamp setup cannot find Winamp on this computer. Winamp is required for this installation to continue.
Please install Winamp first. Installation will exit now.
Doesn't give any option to define a path, just exits.

Running MM 3.1.1256, the MM directory contains both a dummy winamp.exe and a dummy winamp.ini.

I even forcibly extracted the files from the DFX installer using 7zip and dropped
them (most of them, anyway) in the MM/plugins folder. It shows up in the DSP plugins list,
I can enable it - but as soon as I try to play a song, MM crashes immediately!
I'm not sure if this will make the latest version work with MM but you do need to have Winamp installed or at least a facsimile of winamp.exe and as you don't mention this I'm probably going to assume you haven't.
Try putting a txt file called winamp.exe somewhere on your drive and let the installation see it. This still may not work as there have been some problems with later versions of DFX and MM as already documented in this thread.
If as you say there is no option to define a path try putting the "fake" winamp.exe in c:\program files\winamp\ assuming (dangerously again) that c: is your root drive.