Keeping track of albums I own

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

redelephant

Keeping track of albums I own

Post by redelephant » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Until now I have been using MM to build up a library of all the CDs I own, so I have just ripped the tracks from each CD into my library.

Now I'm getting rid of some of the CDs. I'd like to use MM to keep track of which CDs I still have. I thought VirtualCD would help with this (I have Gold) but having looked at it, I'm not sure. :(

What I want is this - when I look up or play an album or a track, I want to be able to tell if it's an album I still own or not.

I guess I could do something with a custom column and/or a filter - but I'm not sure where to start. All suggestions gratefully received. :D

Eyal

Re: Keeping track of albums I own

Post by Eyal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:07 pm

redelephant wrote:when I look up or play an album or a track, I want to be able to tell if it's an album I still own or not.
For every track of CD I own I have "Ripped with x, date" in the Comment field.
I've also set one of Custom fields to "Source" which contain location and date of purchase of the CD, but only for first track.

Now with filter or searching the word "Ripped" it easy to find all tracks of CD I own.
I also an auto-playlist filtering the Source field to display track 1 of all albums I have ripped.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].

Lowlander

Re: Keeping track of albums I own

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:52 pm

You have a special case which is that you want to be able to update tracks when you sell the CD and thus no longer own it. Your best option is using a custom field, either to indicate that you own it or not. Whenever you sell a CD you would need to update the tracks on the album to reflect this.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)