WASAPI plug-in for Vista

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Simon Chick

WASAPI plug-in for Vista

Post by Simon Chick » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:01 am

I keep reading that this is the top route to bit perfect replay through Vista, but got no hits from a search of the MM site.

Can anybody cast any light on its implementation for MM?

Peke

Re: WASAPI plug-in for Vista

Post by Peke » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:44 am

From what I read it could work with this one
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Simon Chick

Post by Simon Chick » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:09 pm

Thanks Peke, but I had found that one already. Unfortunately on the guy's site he makes this very specific statement:

"Maiko is the minimalistic output plugin for winamp. The fat-less software mixer wraps the sound over WASAPI shared mode. It doesn't mean to be another bit perfect audio plugin but an intelligent audio router and resampler.
THIS IS NOT A BIT PERFECT RENDERER AND THUS IT APPLYING SOME PROCESSING ON GUESS BASIS! "

So Maiko is not what I am looking for, unfortunately. What is needed is a plug-in for Vista exclusive mode that does assure bit perfect output to the DAC.

Regettably Foobar does already have one called "foo out wasapi". It is a pity that MM which is a so much better interface than Foobar as well as having much wider functionality doesn't have one yet, or even WinAmp.

I did find this though http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?postid=2473944 which looks promising, but not quite there yet.

I hope the development team can keep an eye on this so you can advise users when there is a stable version usable in MM. If MM can really clarify the bit-perfect audiophile type issues, Foobar would no longer have any reason to exist ...

Thanks as ever.

Peke

Post by Peke » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:13 pm

We are in talk to include ASIO plugin, WASAPI is interesting but as it is Vista+ it will take some time.

EDIT: Good Article here http://mark-dot-net.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... asapi.html
Best regards,
Pavle

Dynobot

Post by Dynobot » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Its been 6 years!

Still no WASAPI plug in???

Peke

Post by Peke » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:28 pm

I do not understand your comment, WASAPI is not popular way of doing multimedia and even Microsoft have issues with it See this Blog post from developer involved in WASAPI
Best regards,
Pavle

BEEMB

Post by BEEMB » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:22 am

WASAPI IS quite simply the best way to output audio in Vista. From an audiophile perspective there is nothing better.

I too am hoping for such a plug in for Media Monkey. It's offered by Foobar; the only reason I've not shifted over to Foobar is because I prefer the MediaMonkey interface.

Will we ever see this within MediaMonkey?

Holograph

Post by Holograph » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:10 pm

I second the request -- WASAPI is supported in Vista, Windows 7 and even Server 2008 (which I currently use at work). I use MM 3 Gold at work, but use XMPlay for playback for precisely this reason; with a good enough headphones or stereo setup the difference can be heard.

Peke

Post by Peke » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:50 pm

I Agree on quality, but technically speaking it is still not polished enough. Windows 7 has done lots of improvements. We will certainly see what is the safest way to make it in future versions.
Best regards,
Pavle

Holograph

Post by Holograph » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:52 am

Peke wrote:I Agree on quality, but technically speaking it is still not polished enough. Windows 7 has done lots of improvements. We will certainly see what is the safest way to make it in future versions.
Not polished how? (sorry, I'm a developer, my curiousity is piqued :-))

Peke

Post by Peke » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:08 pm

Have you read link from my post? http://mark-dot-net.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... asapi.html

I've tried to make simple WASAPI player for vista and it didn't work mostly, on Win 7 Same code mostly work until I try to play 24/192 FLAC on my Stereo 16/48 Analog output.
Best regards,
Pavle

Holograph

Post by Holograph » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Peke wrote:Have you read link from my post? http://mark-dot-net.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... asapi.html

I've tried to make simple WASAPI player for vista and it didn't work mostly, on Win 7 Same code mostly work until I try to play 24/192 FLAC on my Stereo 16/48 Analog output.
Yes, I did read that actually. Strange, I haven't had issues yet at 96k/24-bit, but then one of my DACs does not support 192k and the other is connected via USB (limited to 48k/16-bit) with no optical out on the computer. I'll bring the capable DAC from work one day and try it out; if it works and you feel like giving it a shot I can try and help you debug the whole thing.

Peke

Post by Peke » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:20 pm

I've done two tests mostly on onboard Realtek ALC888, ALC888T, ALC889a HD Audio Cards that can reproduce 192/24 (tested) and some little tests on older M-Audio audiophile test results was that WASAPI made issues where ASIO did not at all (Driver needs to be done natively for better support but it is working).
Best regards,
Pavle

jiri

Post by jiri » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:35 am

Note that WASAPI plug-in will most likely appear in the next version of MediaMonkey.

Jiri

Simon Chick

Post by Simon Chick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:53 am

Now that is some positive news at last, even if it is months or a year away.

As I keep saying, if MM makes it easy to get bit perfect output with all the main operating systems "out of the box", then Foobar will no longer need to exist, as MM beats it wholesale on every issue except that one.