Where does Mediamonkey store its playlists?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Where does Mediamonkey store its playlists?

Postby dnquark » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:54 am

I have migrated to a different computer. The old computer is no longer available, I just have the hard drive from it. Is it possible to somehow retrieve the playlists from Mediamonkey installation on the old drive? I can deal with some manual search/replace cleanup in Perl or Python if need be...
dnquark

Re: Where does Mediamonkey store its playlists?

Postby Bex » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:58 am

They're stored within the database. Do you still have the old database?
Also see here:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Bex

Postby MarthaF » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:26 pm

I have a similar question, but a different need. I've found both the old and the new database successfully. Now, I want to know if it's possible for a mere (but fairly clever) mortal to edit the playlists in the old database?

The only editing I need to do is to change the drive letters for the songs in the old playlists, because when we moved to Windows 7 we set the drives up a little differently. MediaMonkey has already created a new database using the current drive letters. Can you help me with this?

Thank you.
Martha
Last edited by MarthaF on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarthaF

Postby Lowlander » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:28 pm

If you just changed drives you can try: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
Lowlander

Postby MarthaF » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:30 pm

(Oh, the things I have to learn!!!)

I've done my best co copy everything accurately. But when (in Windows 7) I open Media Monkey as administrator and try to run the script (Tools > Scripts > Move device content), I get an error message:
Error $13 - Microsoft VBScript runtime error
Type mismatch: 'Change_HDD_Serial'
File: "C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Scripts\MM_HDDSerial.vbs", Line 1, Column: 0

Then when I close that message, I get:
Error happened during script execution:
Type mismatch: 'Change_HDD_Serial'

I copied the old MM.DB into the proper place.
(Rather than lose the three files I was replacing, I changed their names to, e.g., MM-DB-OLD - but left them in their respective directories.)

I've double- and triple-checked everything - what might I have done wrong??
MarthaF

Postby nohitter151 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:01 pm

I'm not sure why it isn't working for you but the manual method to update your DB is explained here:
http://www.plasticsun.com/GiantInternat ... wDrive.htm
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nohitter151

Postby MarthaF » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:17 pm

nohitter151 wrote:I'm not sure why it isn't working for you but the manual method to update your DB is explained here:
http://www.plasticsun.com/GiantInternat ... wDrive.htm

Thanks a lot, nohitter151 - this is actually the kind of thing I was hoping for. But meanwhile, I've realized that I had only ONE playlist of any significance to me, and was in the process of editing THAT - so I'll give up trying to recover something I don't think I really need any more, and go on to making a new playlist for the purpose. Trying to recover it was an interesting exercise, though. And the thing that I was most suspicious of was that the instructions did talk about the disk serial number of the new drive - somewhere - but then I couldn't find again either HOW to find it, or WHERE to put it! A good learning experience anyway, though - and I'm always happy for those.

Best, Martha
MarthaF

Return to Need Help? (mmw)