How do change ini 's location?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

zopfan

How do change ini 's location?

Post by zopfan »

I want that if my OS crashes, my ini and db file remain with me in my documents folder (which is always mapped to a drive other than the windows partition).
I like to keep all the settings files of diff programmes (as far as possible) on a different location/partition than windows. This way I can reinstall my OS as and when I want without first backing up anything. [I don't want to lose my playlists all of a sudden].

But with MM3.0.7.1191 [on Vista Ultimate], I've customised the location of my database, but don't know how to do that for ini file?

Also, pls tell, if I install MM3 on a different drive than Vista, will all the interface settings (and maybe playlists) will remain intact once I reinstall Vista (in other words, if MM3's portable installation-- so that I could carry it in a removable drive and plug-in and run in any PC-- is possible or not?)
nohitter151

Re: How do change ini 's location?

Post by nohitter151 »

I think the .ini has to either be in the default location or in the MediaMonkey program folder and that those are the only two options.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
zopfan

Post by zopfan »

nohitter151 wrote:I think the .ini has to either be in the default location or in the MediaMonkey program folder and that those are the only two options.

Is there a way to know if this is the authoritative (100% correct) answer, or your own presumption.
Edit: [Pls don't mind my English]
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I'm 99% sure. If someone else knows differently, please post it.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
fourteen

Post by fourteen »

Since you are on Vista you can take advantage of junction points.

I have successfully put all my MediaMonkey files, incl. .ini file, under c:\fourteen\Documents\Music\MediaMonkey. Actually, I have a couple of different sets of files/libraries that I switch between. This is how you do it (MediaMonkey stores its data in %LOCALAPPDATA%\MediaMonkey):
  • 1- copy MediaMonkey's files from %LOCALAPPDATA%\MediaMonkey to your new desired location, e.g. d:\<user>\Documents\Music\MediaMonkey.
  • 2- delete the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\MediaMonkey (you did copy it in previous step, didn't you...)
  • 3- make a junction point %LOCALAPPDATA%\MediaMonkey pointing to your new desired location d:\<user>\Documents\Music\MediaMonkey
Here are the commands - do at your own risk:
  • 1- xcopy "%LOCALAPPDATA%\MediaMonkey" "d:\<user>\Documents\Music\MediaMonkey" /E
  • 2- rmdir /s /q "%LOCALAPPDATA%\MediaMonkey"
  • 3- mklink /J "%LOCALAPPDATA%\MediaMonkey" "d:\<user>\Documents\Music\MediaMonkey"
You may want to do 1 and 2 manually in Explorer to make sure things go right. I don't think you can create junction points using Explorer so you need to run the mklink command in step 3 in a command prompt. Also, I am not sure if XP supports these kind of junction points, but Vista does.

This works great for me but do it at your own risk.
Vaer

Post by Vaer »

fourteen wrote:You may want to do 1 and 2 manually in Explorer to make sure things go right. I don't think you can create junction points using Explorer so you need to run the mklink command in step 3 in a command prompt. Also, I am not sure if XP supports these kind of junction points, but Vista does.
I can confirm that XP does support junction points.

I use Junction Link Magic to make them.