artists out of order

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

kellar

artists out of order

Post by kellar » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:17 am

I have been trying to figure this out for a few days. It seems to me that MM has a mind of its own sometimes. My albums are in alphabetical order by artist name but sometimes they get out of order. I then have to click on the artists/album column to get them back in alphabetical order. Also, I have a few albums that just will not get themselves in order. I have one album that starts with track #7 and I have done everything to get it in order and it just won't. One more thing. I have an album that will not apply the album artwork for anything. I check "apply to all tracks" and it shows it in the artwork window but will not apply to the album. I have tried reinstalling MM because it seems a bit buggy, but it didn't do any good. Am I missing an option here?

nohitter151

Re: artists out of order

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:33 am

Check that all the tracks of an album have the same Album artist and that all of the tracks have the same disc number (or no disc number if you prefer that).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:50 am

I have checked everything. Oddly enough, the ones that are out of order are the ones that I have recently edited. They all appear at the very bottom of the list. I click on the album/artists column and they reorder themselves but when I close out the program and come back they are out of order again.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:06 am

Guest wrote:I have checked everything. Oddly enough, the ones that are out of order are the ones that I have recently edited. They all appear at the very bottom of the list. I click on the album/artists column and they reorder themselves but when I close out the program and come back they are out of order again.
So is the list view still sorted by album name when you restart MM, or is it unsorted? (ie is this a case of MM just not remembering how you want the tracks sorted)?

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:23 am

It is unsorted when I start MM. About 95% of it will be in order but then there will be 20 or so albums all the way at the bottom of the list (after Z) that will be out of order. In other words, 95% of the list will be sorted correctly alphabetically but then there will be 20 or so albums that appear at the bottom. When I click on the album/artist column they reorder correctly. The same happens in my "compilations" node except even more are out of order. The first half of the collection is in order A-Z>, and then the other half of the compilation comes after that. It is like it cuts my compilation library in half and puts it one after the other. Does that make any sense?

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:26 am

To answer your question, yes, it seems that when I close out the program it forgets how I had it ordered. The list view appears out of order as well.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:04 am

Guest wrote:To answer your question, yes, it seems that when I close out the program it forgets how I had it ordered. The list view appears out of order as well.
Ok, are you using the album art view or the normal view? I recall someone posting that MM seems to forget how columns are sorted for the art view unless you switch to the normal details view and back before closing.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:06 am

I always use the "album art with details" view. So does that mean that I have to switch back to the list view before I close out every time or just once to save it?

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:08 am

Guest wrote:I always use the "album art with details" view. So does that mean that I have to switch back to the list view before I close out every time or just once to save it?
I guess just once to save it. I think that bug may have been fixed in the 3.1 build available for download in the beta-testing forum, but I'm really not sure since I use the details view rather than the art views.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:11 am

I just tried it and it didn't seem to do any good. Weird. Must be a bug. I am going to try to find that post you are talking about.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:33 am

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:53 am

Yeah, that solves the column size problem but my tracks are still out of order when I reopen MM. I am baffled. I checked out the properties and info and cannot figure out why some are out of order, some are in the incorrect track order, and a few won't display artwork. It is a group of about 20 albums and they are all located in the same library as all my other music.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Guest wrote:Yeah, that solves the column size problem but my tracks are still out of order when I reopen MM. I am baffled. I checked out the properties and info and cannot figure out why some are out of order, some are in the incorrect track order, and a few won't display artwork. It is a group of about 20 albums and they are all located in the same library as all my other music.
Well I assumed that the size and sort issues were similar -- that MM wouldn't save the correct sort order and column size when closing without taking the mentioned steps.

Regardless of that - I can't reproduce this in MM 3.1.0.1229 (the above mentioned beta version). I opened MM, went to the 'Title' node, changed to Album art w/ details view, sorted by "Artist" (previously had sorted by "Title"), closed MM, and restarted. When MM opened up, the node was correctly sorted by "Artist".

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Yeah, I thought that would fix the problem as well (referring to the other post) but it didn't. Hmmm. Must be a bug because I have been trying for hours to figure out why this is happening. Hopefully its fixed like you said in the new version. Does it make sense to go ahead and download the beta version or should I wait for the release (date??)?

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Guest wrote:Yeah, I thought that would fix the problem as well (referring to the other post) but it didn't. Hmmm. Must be a bug because I have been trying for hours to figure out why this is happening. Hopefully its fixed like you said in the new version. Does it make sense to go ahead and download the beta version or should I wait for the release (date??)?
Up to you. I'd guess the new version is going to be released relatively soon (1-2 months as a guess) so if you can stand to wait, then wait.