What Level Of compression should I Use FLAC

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Peabody67gto

What Level Of compression should I Use FLAC

Post by Peabody67gto »

Hello,
Want to know what is the best level of compression to use with FLAC. I think MM had it on 5 or 6 but I was playing with the slider seeing how it affected the size & forgot the MM factory setting for FLAC

THANKS
nohitter151

Re: What Level Of compression should I Use FLAC

Post by nohitter151 »

This is from the hydrogenaudio wiki:
Question: What is the best compression level for encoding my music?

Short Answer: The default setting, 5.

Long Answer: Encoding at the default setting will give the best balance between compression and encoding speed. Encoding at 8 can more than quadruple the encoding time, while having an insignificant effect on compression.
I checked the MM default setting (well, it might not be the default - but I never rip to flac so I at least don't think that I ever changed the setting) and it was set to compression level 0.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Peabody67gto

Post by Peabody67gto »

OK thanks,
I have been looking into it and most people rip at 5 or 6

Thanks
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

just a rule of thumb that i use is when i change to different formats if i can set it by the bit rate i always go with the 196kbps as the lowest wanted setting.

but if i can't set by bit rate i take the middle setting and add one to it towards the quality setting that gives me a good enough sound and fast enough encoding.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Good question Peabody67gto, and some good and helpful answers.
Thanks folks :)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
MMan

Post by MMan »

Just to be clear, it's my understanding, that the level of compression when creating FLAC files has nothing to do with the quality (by definition, FLAC files are lossless) or, according to the hydrogenaudiop site, the time to decode. It only has to do with the final size of the file. As was pointed out, it is only a trade off of time to encode vs. files size.
PH3ARL3SS

Post by PH3ARL3SS »

As was pointed out, it is only a trade off of time to encode vs. files size.
This is correct! :wink: