Ripping Destination Folder Question

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rrfpacker

Ripping Destination Folder Question

Post by rrfpacker » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:03 pm

This may seem basic, but I can't figure it out.

I started ripping CDs a couple months ago. I started with Artists that I wanted to transfer to my mp3 player so I did not go in alphabetical order. Now when I rip CDs and get to the Rip CD/Destination window and click on the "folder" to get to "Browse for Folder" window, the folders are not in alphabetical order, they are in the order I ripped.

Since I didn't always rip all CDs by the same artist at one sitting this has become quite annoying. Is there any way to fix this? Right clicking in the area doesn't do anything and I don't see any other way of sorting.

Eyal

Re: Ripping Destination Folder Question

Post by Eyal » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:17 pm

I don't understand which area you talking about. Can you provide a screenshot?

What is your "destination" mask? If you rip your cds to same location by always using the same mask, there's no need to browse for destination location.

Example of Destination mask:
C:\My music\Ripped CD\<Album Artist> - <Album>\<Track#:2> - <Title>

Afterward you can use Auto-Organize to move the album to proper directory.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].

rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:07 pm

I don't have a way to send a screen shot unless it is in an email, so I will try to explain.

I rip CDs to E:\My music\<Album Artist> - <Album>\<Title>. I get there by clicking Tools\Rip Audio CD\ which opens the window where you select the destination, which I think you are calling the mask. I suppose I could type the mask everytime, but I click on the folder icon to the right and enter the information in there. Or, I create the folders I will need in windows explorer and click on the folder icon and then select the correct destination.

Maybe I have to research Auto-Organize to see if I can save some steps. I still haven't learned all I need to learn.

Thank you for the help.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:17 pm

rrfpacker wrote:I don't have a way to send a screen shot unless it is in an email, so I will try to explain.

I rip CDs to E:\My music\<Album Artist> - <Album>\<Title>.
If you rip with that mask, what exactly does it matter what order the folders are sorted in?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Eyal

Post by Eyal » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:35 pm

rrfpacker wrote:I rip CDs to E:\My music\<Album Artist> - <Album>\<Title>. I get there by clicking Tools\Rip Audio CD\ which opens the window where you select the destination, which I think you are calling the mask
Is that the one?

Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].

rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:42 am

Yes, very good. I see yours are in alphabetical order. Mine is not, from top to bottom the artists are in the order that I ripped them.

However, I ripped another CD tonight, just one as it's getting late, and typed the destination instead clicking on the folder icon. When done ripping I went through the motions of ripping it again to see where the folder would show up, and it showed up in the right order, not at the bottom as it usually does. So it could just be a quirk in MM.

Not a big deal, but I think it is weird behavior.

rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:24 pm

rrfpacker wrote:
I don't have a way to send a screen shot unless it is in an email, so I will try to explain.

nohitter151 wrote;
If you rip with that mask, what exactly does it matter what order the folders are sorted in?"

Sorry I missed this reply as it is so short. To answer your question, in the beginning of my MM learning process I ripped about 70 of my favorite albums, by almost as many artists. I did this to play with and learn the sync/tag processes. So when I then began to rip albums in earnest, the folders in this particular window were in reverse chronological order, not alphabetical. I had to search for the correct artist folder to add new album folders. Not a big deal, just a quirk.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:11 pm

rrfpacker wrote:rrfpacker wrote:
I'd really like to see a screenshot of this. Just upload the picture to http://imageshack.us, then post the link here.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:53 am

more likely this was doing the same thing as this.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ediaMonkey

where you had not opened the folder for awhile so it was still remembering the old lay out of the folders.
when you ripped a new cd and opened the folder then it showed correct, is most likely the fact the ini file had not been re wrote in that long time, i think monkey keeps last opened folders listed in the ini file. i know he does last scanned files.
8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:35 pm

There is good news, and there is bad news.

Nohitter, the problem seems to have been fixed with version 3.1. I installed the new version Saturday before I saw your post asking for a screen shot. I tried to replicate the issue today, but now all the folders are in alphabetical order and when I rip a new one, in only stays at the top until I rip a new one. Go figure.

Cowboy, I don't think that was quite the issue as I could rip many CDs in one evening and the issue was the same, the newest CD ripped was at the bottom.

However, all fixed for now. Thanks for your thoughts.