MediaMonkey Not Saving Album Art, Artist Name etc. to Tag

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Emrik

Re: MediaMonkey Not Saving Album Art, Artist Name etc. to Tag

Post by Emrik »

hello, i have the same issue, it never happen in the past (with older version of MM) as i was very carefull about saving my album art in the tag and not in the folder of the album (i move my mp3s from folder to folder depending of the rating so i need to have the album arts independant from the folder they are in).

i also noticed that it does not display on the bottom "editing tags" for a very short second (or something similar as my version is in French)

****** it seems i have seen the pb : compatibility in album art if you check the 2 boxes : "save this album art in the tag (if possible)" + "link to this image"
when the 2 boxes are checked it does not seem to work and create a compatibility pb ? when i only check "save this album art in the tag (if possible)"
it seems now to work properly.

However i still does not see anymore the quick sentence : "editing tags" when i change the album art or even the genre , usually it was very quickly displaying something (and for a short time when you were changing several tags at the same time.

hope that's help and looking forward to read the solution
Paris, France.
Mediamonkey 3, HP Vista & MacBook Pro.
Mixvibes 7 producer, Trackor Pro, Allen & Heath Xone 4D.
Emrik

Post by Emrik »

ok then this now very ackward and bizarre...

10 files of the same album (so same album art), 1 file is now in another folder => teh album art has changed ...i think it is because it takes the folder.jpg of the new folder but i did ask that to happen...
Anyway, i decide to correct that and make a selection of the properties of the 10 files of this album, i go in the illustration tab (album art in the english version i think) => i have 2 album arts , i delete one and save the properties with apply to the whole selection box checked....then everything to be normal BUT when i close MM and re open it the wrong album art is back!!! pfff...same phenomenon when i play the song, suddenly the wrong album art appears instead of the right one i have just corrected...

i think the issue is that MM is not saving anymore the album art in the tags (also confirmed by the absence of "writing tags" information at the bottom of MM when i save the new properties.
Paris, France.
Mediamonkey 3, HP Vista & MacBook Pro.
Mixvibes 7 producer, Trackor Pro, Allen & Heath Xone 4D.
Nike

Post by Nike »

I had this same problem and I followed the directions in this post to get better tagging from sites other than amazon. It may just work for you too (hopefully!).

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=37476
byersjus

Post by byersjus »

Lowlander wrote:Also make sure you have enabled "Update tags when editing properties" under Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists.
Lowlander is correct. The 'Update tags when editing properites' option must be enabled in order to save album art to the tag. I had intentionally turned this off because I wanted to make a ton of edits quickly (low database overhead) and then update the file tags (more overhead) as an unattended batch process using 'Synchronize tags'. I can still do that, but I have to remember to update the tags instantly (not later) when doing album art.

It makes sense if you think about it. If you're waiting to sync your MM database to your file tags and not saving the image to the album folder, where is the album art image in the meantime? MM would have to cache every album art you add so that it's available when it goes to update the file tags. I guess it doesn't do that. I wish this was clearer, but I'm tagging album art just fine now. It just has to be immediate.
Jelninio

Post by Jelninio »

Do u use Win Vista/7. Did u start MM in admin-mode? It solves the problem of not saving tags, album art etc... :D
Kirves

Post by Kirves »

Same problem here, on Vista 64.

Some more insight: Adding album art by copy-pasting does not work. Adding it thru a file from the computer works, also i can use the www address of a picture online in the "add picture" screen where you normally search your own computer for the cover pic. This method works too. But straight copy/pasting of a pic does not work, and it's a shame since it's really slow to do it manually.

Post by Guest »

Continuing: I solved the problem i had - copy&pasting from IE8 works. I used google chrome before, when i had the problem.
kookykrazee

Post by kookykrazee »

I am having this problem, lately, with my avi and mkv files. I know that MediaMonkey is not a video PLAYER, but it should still keep the tags attached across launches.

Previous to the more recent updates, the updated tags did stay across sessions. It seems this is a relatively recent thing, though I have not had not time to check the forums or submit my own concerns.

Any suggestions, other than what is stated here? I have tried making sure that MM is running as Admin and have the lasted version installed.
richiefinger

Re: MediaMonkey Not Saving Album Art, Artist Name etc. to Ta

Post by richiefinger »

I'm sure there is a chart somewhere but I can't find it.
What fields are stored in avi files?
I've just tidied up around 1000 movie files of mixed extensions.
I highlighted the whole lot and chose sync tags.
When I looked at them on another device I noticed a lot of the tags hadn't updated.
Is this an avi file restriction or is there a glitch in syncing tags still?

actually as i write this i notice some title fields have not been saved either so it must be a glitch
umm

so why are my edits not being saved?

EDIT: Ive just tried running MM as an administrator and syncing but still the same problems.
ie: an mkv file is not saving the "title" field, however I'm noticing the "album" field is saving correctly even though I've not edited that. album field is showing what i want title to show?? is this some sort of restriction field problem with mkv files??

Please point me to a post with all the field info and I'm sure I'll be able to work out whats going on
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
AVI files are RIFF derivative containers see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Interleave and MMW uses INFOLIST chunk to save metadata which is unfortunately not so widely accepted.

More recent container formats (such as Matroska and MP4) solve all these problems.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Thanks for the link, but i thought there was an MM chart somewhere that says what types of extensions can save what fields?

However you say mvr solves this, so why are my mvr titles not being saved/synced.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

So mvr files are read only, that explains it.

And I'm its "Mood" and "Custom 3" fields that are not saving in the avi files.

OK that answers that, thanks.

So it appears there still isn't a standard field to save language/subtitle language info?? Thats what I'm using Mood and Custom 3 for.