Auto Organize replaces <Title> with <Artist> tags

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Viabobed

Auto Organize replaces <Title> with <Artist> tags

Post by Viabobed »

Hi All,

I just wanted to go ahead and submit this little bug I found while using the latest build of MM 3.1.0.1256.

I am having issues with the Auto Organize feature, Auto Organize is replacing the <Title> tag with the <Artist> tag in the MM library. As MM sends each track one by one to the new directory it also one by one replaces the <Title> of the song with <Artist>.

This has happened on many occasions, usually when making changes to the properties of a track and updating them with Auto Organize. If I randomly decide to click Auto Organize again while the <Title> tag has been changed it will actually organize the files to not only have incorrect tags, but incorrect filenames as well. This happens with files already scanned into the DB and with files that have not been scanned into the library yet.

System:
XP Home SP3
P4 2.4Ghz
1GB DDR Memory
Radeon 9600 Pro
MM 3.1.0.1256

Here are some screenshots:

I also have a log if needed... but MM does not hang or give me any errors when this happens. May be an error unique to me.

Have a good one.
nohitter151

Re: Auto Organize replaces <Title> with <Artist> tags

Post by nohitter151 »

It looks like you are using Auto tag from filename instead of auto-organize.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Viabobed

Post by Viabobed »

nohitter151 wrote:It looks like you are using Auto tag from filename instead of auto-organize.
That is what I thought at first but, I checked a few times and I was clicking on Auto-Organize. The files are being moved into the new directories, meaning the function works, but it messes up the <Title> tags
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Do these files have Tags? Is it possibly inferring the information from the new Filenames?
Viabobed

Post by Viabobed »

It is possible that it is inferring the properties. These files that I am dealing with in average all get in my computer with a similar process.

I rip the cd, cddb usually finds information > It goes into a temporary directory > Files are then tagged with Auto-tag from web > Then I Auto-Organize to the permanent directory (this is where I see the <Title> tags disappear) > Finally I have to Auto-tag from filename to recover the <Title> tags in the library

So if there is a problem in the tag process, it is probable that it is inferring the properties it has from the filename.

Here are the settings I have now.
When adding files to the Library:
Infer track properties
Filenames + Path
Use:
Inferred properties then tags
Get Album Titles and Track Numbers from:
Tags only
Update track info from tags...
Only files with changed timestamp or size
Remove unused attributes
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Do you have the Infer Properties option disabled? If it's enabled, try disabling it and running through your steps to see what happens.
Viabobed

Post by Viabobed »

Mizery_Made wrote:Do you have the Infer Properties option disabled? If it's enabled, try disabling it and running through your steps to see what happens.
Mizery_Made you are a genius....

Apparently that was the solution to this little issue, THANKS!

Now, I know I was never having that issue with that setting in any of the past releases, so it might be something to look into for future development with the program.

I just shut off the "Infer Properties" option and the Auto-Organize stopped destroying the tags.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have the File Monitor enabled as well?
Viabobed

Post by Viabobed »

I have not added any directories to the File Monitor so I think that it is disabled.

Also it may be good to mention that a while back I switched to the Thomson mp3PRO Decoder for all .mp3 files and it is possible there is something more going on. I didn't get this problem with the previous releases of MM 3.xx
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Strange, are you in the My Computer node in MediaMonkey when moving files?
Viabobed

Post by Viabobed »

Lowlander wrote:Strange, are you in the My Computer node in MediaMonkey when moving files?
Actually most of the time that I am moving files I am accessing it though the My Computer node because the files I am editing are not yet in the library. I browse to the directory then I edit and organize the files. I have seen this happen with ripped files and Amazon mp3's so the files are not coming from one source.

Since removing the infer properties option I have not seen the tags get switched for the last few cds I have organized.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then it makes sense what's happening!

If you're in the My Computer node and have Infer Track Properties enabled MediaMonkey will guess the tags from the filenames. It's designed to do so.
Viabobed

Post by Viabobed »

Haha, I suppose it is a novice mistake on my end then. 8)

I just never have seen the infer properties take effect from that node while auto-organizing.

Well if this is the case then this is not what we would call a bug.
I appreciate your help with this guys.

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Actually there have been some modifications in this behavior for MediaMonkey 3.1.

I will move this to the Need Help forum.