Manage Filtes.. more than one Path statement

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tableguy

Manage Filtes.. more than one Path statement

Post by tableguy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:44 am

If I put two different paths in the dialog box so that I could pick and choose directories, all the tree nodes say unknown.

Is this possible?

Mizery_Made

Re: Manage Filtes.. more than one Path statement

Post by Mizery_Made » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:13 am

Perhaps it would be better if you gave a better description of what it is you're trying to do. You've set up a filter with two "Path contains ..." statements? If so, then you should set this filter to ANY and not ALL, since depending on what paths you're dealing with, the files can't be in both of the paths at the same time. So if you have a C:\My Music\R&B and C:\My Music\Rock, it's going to show nothing because the files can't be in both of these folders at the same time which is what this filter would expect. Meanwhile, setting it to any will show files that match any of the criteria, thus showing anything housed in either of the folders.

If this is not what you're talking about, then please provide a little more information so I can better understand.

tableguy

Post by tableguy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:09 pm

So the corret statement to put in the filter would be c:\My Music and that would pull everything from both directories. And it would be incorrect to have

C:\My Music\R&B\this artist
C:\My Music R&b\that artist
C:\My Music\Rock

And there can only be one Path statement per filter and only one filter can run at a time.

I have more music then that can fit on my Ipod and trying to pick centain dir's and then sync to the Ipod

Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:58 pm

You can have more than one Path criteria, but in that case, it needs to be set to match Any and not All criteria. Unlike with Artist statements where a song may belong to both Artist: Tech N9ne and Artist Yukmouth, it's impossible for the same file to be located in two separate folders (such as a R&B genre folder, and a Rock genre folder). As a result, these two criterias will cancel each other out with All, because there's no tracks that can match both statements.

Setting it to Any however, will then show all the files under "\R&B\this artist\" and files under "\Rock\" because then a file only has to match one rule to be included. However, if this is all about syncing your iPod, there's already an option in the settings for iPod devices to only sync specific directories. It's on the Music tab, under Location. The only thing a filter would do for this is whittle down what is show, to make it easier to check what you want (since then, all your directories wouldn't be shown).

Though yes, only one filter can be active at a time. However, you can mimic having more than one going at the same time with the use of the "Playlist is" criteria. Auto-Playlists criteria works pretty much like filters, so you could set up some criteria in one of those, then call it via a filter with some extra criteria added directly to the filter.

tableguy

Post by tableguy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:02 am

Thanks for the clarifing that again. I missed the "Any", in the filter config before. Now it
only pulls those specific dir's and I can populate the nodes with that music and export to my
device.