Best way to rip CD's?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

RickyBerkey

Best way to rip CD's?

Post by RickyBerkey » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:01 am

Perhaps I'm missing something in my method or my configuration. When I'm ripping a CD I want the whole album information left in a window on the screen for further editing, especially if it was not found in the FreeDb database. It seems to just throw all the information into the library which is especially annoying when it has no artist/album information attached. If I have a CD by someone with no online information it just ends up in the unknown artist category and it's hard to fix. Is there anyway to access the other online databases with artist/track information besides FreeDb. I never had a problem using other types of music software but I'm just not used to this interface I guess. Thanks for any help.

rovingcowboy

Re: Best way to rip CD's?

Post by rovingcowboy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:13 am

look at my signiture for the helpful links post i did. i put a link to how to rip cd's message in there i can't remember the link so look in there at number 10 or 11 in that page. :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:38 pm

> When I'm ripping a CD I want the whole album information left in a window on the screen for further editing ...
> It seems to just throw all the information into the library which is especially annoying when it has no artist/album information attached.

Agreed. The workaround I use is to set Rip CD "Destination" path to a temporary folder for only this, then after the rip, browse to this in Location, make the edits, then Send to... Folder (Move) to the library folder.

But I would much prefer MM Rip CD to present the metadata for editing before ripping, making the above unnecessary.
Chris

MMan

Post by MMan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 pm

I use EAC to rip my CDs, but back when I used Monkey I thought that you could load the CD in your drive, then click on the drive under the My Computer node. The tracks aren't in the Librarry yet, but you can edit all the tag properties in the main window. Once you have everything the way that you like it, you can then choose to rip the CD. It will be ripped with all your edited information. You might want to give that a try. Good Luck.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:15 pm

> click on the drive under the My Computer node. The tracks aren't in the Librarry yet,
> but you can edit all the tag properties in the main window.

Good tip - thanks.

Shame though that just about no-one is going to discover that. Much better to provide editing on the Rip CD dialog, I suggest.
Chris

RickyBerkey

Post by RickyBerkey » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:48 am

Thanks, I tried EAC ("Exact Audio Copy") and will use it instead of trying to workaround MM. Nice and simple, does what it does well.
MMan wrote:I use EAC to rip my CDs, but back when I used Monkey I thought that you could load the CD in your drive, then click on the drive under the My Computer node. The tracks aren't in the Librarry yet, but you can edit all the tag properties in the main window. Once you have everything the way that you like it, you can then choose to rip the CD. It will be ripped with all your edited information. You might want to give that a try. Good Luck.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:34 pm

RickyBerkey wrote:Thanks, I tried EAC ("Exact Audio Copy") and will use it instead of trying to workaround MM. Nice and simple, does what it does well.
MMan wrote:I use EAC to rip my CDs, but back when I used Monkey I thought that you could load the CD in your drive, then click on the drive under the My Computer node. The tracks aren't in the Librarry yet, but you can edit all the tag properties in the main window. Once you have everything the way that you like it, you can then choose to rip the CD. It will be ripped with all your edited information. You might want to give that a try. Good Luck.

i take it you did not want to do what the post of mine said in how to rip cdroms which is linked to on that link number 11 in the helpful messages for newbies?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.