DVD-R with 15 MP-3 Albums

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

glcalahan

DVD-R with 15 MP-3 Albums

Post by glcalahan »

Hello.

I have a DVD-R with 15 albums of music that I want to add into MM and be on the HD so I can play without having the DVD-R in the drive,

I have read what I can on MM and simply cannot figure it out. Perhaps the verbage is confusing.

Can someone help and explain what I need to KNOW and than the process to add both a CD or DVD-R of music into MM so I can manage all my music in MM???

Thank You!

GC
RifRaf

Re: DVD-R with 15 MP-3 Albums

Post by RifRaf »

insert the dvd, select all the songs on it in the my computer node or similar. Then use auto-organise files from the tools menu. Select "copy selected files to new destination based on track tags", make the new location your main music folder on hdd. Check the option to "add copied tracks to the library ".

Once this is done all the songs should appear in the library and not require the dvd anymore. To work the tracks on the DVD should be tagged correctly or else auto-organise cannot work properly
glcalahan

Post by glcalahan »

Hello,

I followed your instructions and here is what I found:

I located the D drive and than choose select all
went to tools and chose auto organize and checked auto tag option and also artist-album

The error box popped up and said "an error occured while moving the file D:\ ....................................:"

Any ideas???? I am desparate and have been trying to figure this out for 2 days.

I guess there is no phone access is there?????

BTW ..............the DVD will auto start and start in Media player so the disc is good and I have listened to it.

Sincerelt,

Gary
RifRaf

Post by RifRaf »

i guess you did not select the option to Copy the files in auto-organise. The Default is to Move the files, however you cannot Move the files from a DVD as they are read only and is most likely the reason for the error message. double check that setting and try again
glcalahan

Post by glcalahan »

Thanks!

I am certain I did but am not afraid to say I f...ed up! Let me try again!!

Thank you so much!

Gary
glcalahan

Post by glcalahan »

Hi again,

There is no Copy file to auto organize under "Tools" I have been using auto organize files.

What am I missing??

Sorry for being a pain in the ass!

Gary Calahan
North Florida
904-962-4994
RifRaf

Post by RifRaf »

not sure wat you are missing, this is where the options are on my auto organise screen. have highlighted the 2 options to be checked in red. hope it helps

glcalahan

Post by glcalahan »

Hey Dude,

I guess I have finally reached the point of pain on this one. At first i was dealing with all the shit of my own and what I purchased from iripoff (apple) and yes I still have it all on a hard drive and Ipod all I want is to have one program manage my collection of blues. I got divorced and lost everything but stillhave some of my instruments and my CD's and I did not know what I was getting into with Itunees.

I finallly said screw itunes and deleated anything on this laptop that sat apple and now realize I hace misplaced my cd........most prized cd's. and I want to start to rebuild my library in MM. A good frilend has so much thaat lost ad he was going to heold rebuild. I simply can't figure out what the fuck I am doing wrong,...

I did not have problems with the cd's that I had and I have 300 more stored away but te ones I am missing is VERY DISTURBING to me. I got laid off for the first time in my life, got divorced, lost everything and am living on a small sailboat. I recovered from a triple bypass in Nov.'08 and now am currently in rehad bor a complete right hip replacement. my patience is getting thin.

I want to thank you for your help. I have not got a clue whaat is my next move, I need my music as I have life time alimony and got to figure somewaay to make a living and so that is why I need to get this stuf up and running.

Thank Again.

Gary Calahan
RifRaf

Post by RifRaf »

must be me missing something then, in the first post you said you had 15 CDs of music on a DVD, assumed they must be in mp3 or similar format and therefore have tags that could be used for auto organise in the method i described. you are obviously frustrated but i cannot assist if i do not know where you are getting stuck. if you can select the files on the DVD in mediamonkey and then use auto organise to copy the files to your hdd.

are the files on the dvd in mp3 format or something else?

do you get any error messages and where exactly are you getting stuck?

are you using a current version of mediamonkey?

Another method you could try is to just view the DVD in My Computer, select all the folders with music and copy, then paste to the music location on computer. Then open mediamonkey and do add/rescan tracks to the library and scan the location you dumped the files to.
glcalahan

Post by glcalahan »

I Admire your tenacity!

Yes they are all MP-3 format.

When I put in the DVD....It starts Media Player. I am ot sur why but I remember setting it up as ead with MM. I shut down Media Player and than use my computer D drive and select all. Than all the music opens up, Helge Tallqvist, Hollywood Fats, Hook Herrerra, Johny Guitar watson, Rod Piazza, etc etc

I go to all select, than to Auto organize in tools. The nerxt window pops up is exectly what you printed out and I set the settings the same EXCEPT the artist>album etc was NOT the same as your pic. I chose Artist album and hit OK

Error- Problem with coping D:\helge Tallqvist_Groovey Eyes rovey eyes-plays George Harmonica Smith (2005)[VBR etc etc etc etc

Options are to cancel Retry or Ignor

That is it!!!

WTF?????

Thank you so much!

Gary
RifRaf

Post by RifRaf »

can you post a screenshot of the same window i posted earlier? do the resulting filenames have a yellow background and do the new paths look sensible to you?
also the rest of the error message, the ect ect ect part might be useful if you could paste it. have no idea what the issue is at the moment sorry

the destination string in my earlier screenshot gets rather complex so its better that you choose something simpler like

C:\Music\<artist>\<album>\<track#> - <title>

that will hopefully put the music in your c:\music folder so adjust if necessary.
glcalahan

Post by glcalahan »

Hello,

Can you tell me how to do a screen shot??? I will be glad to send it to you. Yes yellow is the color!

I wish I could send you the error message that states the error. It won't let e copy.

let me see if I can figure out how to do the screen shot thing.

I an so greatful for your help! Between the damn itunes and this issue and being in rehab ( Hio) I am getting testy!!

Thank you again!

Gary C

How about a phone call and a step by step?????
RifRaf

Post by RifRaf »

to capture the error message you can try do ctrl + c to copy the message to the clipboard while it is the active window , then open notepad and paste the copied text or just paste into a forum post, this does not work in every situation though and if not a screenshot is the answer. this page has instuctions to save me retyping them, http://ask-leo.com/whats_a_screen_shot_ ... e_one.html . once you have the image to need to host it somewhere, will assume you do not have your own webserver so get an account at a site like http://www.flickr.com/ , once you upload your pictures there you can provide a link to the image in your post as an image or a url.

phone support not possible here mainly cause i am on the other side of the world :) maybe someone over there can but you are better off learning the the above steps as they make things easier when trying to describe issues in a forum.

are you sure that the files can be copied from the dvd Without mediamonkey?? like forget mm and media player for a bit and just open up My Computer in windows, explore the dvd and ensure you are able to select some files, copy them, and then try pasting to the music folder you have been trying to copy them with mediamonkey. this will ensure the dvd is ok and that there are no permision issues ect.
glcalahan

Post by glcalahan »

Hi,

I have now got an update! I did a *.MP search in Exployer and looked to see where my MM files were located. I have found that the destination of the ones read by MM are in C:\MyMusic and the DVD music is in C:\Users\380-450.

I am trying to figure out how to give my entire MP-3 the one destination address that I know is a good address of music that is playable currently.

I was wondering if I can first select all create a new file and give it the known good address.

Will that work and exactly how would I do that??????

BTW...I have saved the 3 windows we talked of earlier but don't see an attach button in this post format. Have I missed it?

Regards,

Gary
RifRaf

Post by RifRaf »

how you found the DVD files in C:\Users\380-450 is beyond me but i'll assume that a copy of the files is in that location, this is not a problem for mediamonkey as long as you include this path when doing an 'add/rescan tracks to the library' . You could then select all files in this location node in mediamonkey and then use auto organise to Move the files to MyMusic.

some of the terms you use confuse me sorry, are we still trying to copy files from a physical DVD into your Computer so you do not have to have the DVD inserted to play the music?

you cannot attach images directly to your posts. you can however paste a link to your externally hosted images on flickr etc by using the Img or URL buttons.