More "Album Properties" ??

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

redelephant

More "Album Properties" ??

Post by redelephant » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:12 pm

Media Monkey seems to have a large number of track properties but very few album properties - or am I missing something? The only album properties I see are "Album Artist", "Album Title" and "Album Comment" - and I can't see the latter on the list of properties in the "choose columns" list, so I can't display it.

I would like to be able to assign more album properties without resorting to doing this on a track basis, as this gets tedious - selecting the album, highlighting all the tracks, realising I have some of the tracks filtered out, restting the filter settings, then setting the property for all tracks....

Also on this theme, I can't understand why "Album Art" is a track property not an album property. :o

As I said, I may be missing something, if so I would be grateful for some enlightenment.

Otherwise, maybe there is a script to allow me to add more album properties?

Lowlander

Re: More "Album Properties" ??

Post by Lowlander » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:15 pm

That's because you're dealing with files. This means that anything you want to store on album or artist would still need to be stored per each file. This is for compatibility so that other software/or PC's can read this data in.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:07 pm

I agree with redelephant... I'd like to at least see a functional ALBUM ratings so that I can rate and select on the Album Rating. Quite often I like an album overall, but not every track. MM doesn't have anything built in to handle this.

MM needs more functions to deal with albums as a whole in general, none of this tracks that make up an album stuff...

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:57 am

you can have monkey create albums for the album node if you have all the songs on your album listed as on that album and with the albums proper track order so they will be the same placement as the album then you can use the album node to play songs and use the auto playlists to pick only albums if you want that way.
i think that is only on the gold version auto lists?

as for the album rating that could be an easy add in to the script by big berny all he has to do is make the code read the album names of the songs pick the average rating of all the tracks listed on that album and give it that average rate.

now how hard of a script that would be for big berny to make i don't know? :-? :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:08 am

The Album Art view displays an average rating of the albums, and if sorted on the Rating group, then it groups the albums on said rating (I do believe). Not a 100% solution, but... it's something.

redelephant

Post by redelephant » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:58 pm

Thanks to those who responded to my original post.

I do realise that each track is a file and needs to have all the track and album properties associated with it. However, a relational database is supposed to make life easier for the user by grouping properties common to several files (tracks) in an easy to use way. That is what I am suggesting would be useful. It is done with "Album Artist" in the "Album Properties" dialog box, so why not have a few more properties here - including some custom ones, as is done with track properties.

For example, I would like to have a "Source" property for my albums - CD, Vinyl, Download, etc

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:12 pm

I understand, but...

The first issue is what fields tagging standards support. Whatever gets saved to the files should be compatible with the standards. Secondly all data should be saved to the files, which is currently not the case for Artist and Album comment.

The other problem is the ease of access to Album/Artist Properties. I find it inconvenient and the Track Properties window more convenient.

The database logic does say data shouldn't be repeated, but as you're dealing with files that save the data per file the database needs to reflect the data stored in each file. This data can vary per file in an album (for many reasons) and thus in the database is also stored per track to reflect this.

This issue is complex and some fields you see as an album field, others might use per track (Another user just did so with the Album Art field). Another thing to look at would be what other players do and what options the tagging standards have available.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)