Using MM with Windows Home Server

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Red Robot

Using MM with Windows Home Server

Post by Red Robot » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to MM and I'm looking for a music solution for my WHS. Do I need to do anything 'special' to set up MM with my WHS? I would like to have my music on the server and access it using MM on my laptops. Ideally I'd like things like ratings to be synced between the laptops too. Can this work?

Teknojnky

Re: Using MM with Windows Home Server

Post by Teknojnky » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:47 pm

it can be done a few different ways

1) store all music on WHS, install MM on each laptop and scan in files via \\nasname\sharename
- ratings will be stored in both the files and each individual laptop library, but you will need to do startup scan (or manual rescan) to pick up any changes from different laptops, otherwise each laptop can maintain their own ratings. Will have separate playlists and play counts etc.

2) store database and music on whs, scan in files via \\nasname\sharename
- ratings saved in both files and database, laptops pointed to use shared db will have same ratings and playlists/playcounts
- slower than having separate database on local computer
- risk of database corruption when more than one computer updates db at same time
- also, won't be able to use mm unless connected to WHS network

Phred

Post by Phred » Mon May 31, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm trying to get Playlists to appear on multiple computers networked to WHS but have had no success. The database and music is stored on whs, I have deleted all copies of the .ini and mm.db files from the other computers, tried editing the other computers' .ini file (to add the network location under [System] as suggested in other posts), and can't get the Playlists to appear. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance (and apologies for the hijack, but this seems pretty closely related).

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon May 31, 2010 5:14 pm

Do the other PC's see the database correctly (does it seem you're actually using the shared database or are they back using a local database)?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Phred

Post by Phred » Mon May 31, 2010 5:39 pm

I just fiddled with it again--the networked machines seem not to be seeing the server database. Here is what I have done on a networked XP workstation:
1) Deleted the local database (mm.db)
2) Edited the .ini file on the local machine (adding line "DBName=\\MusicVault\music\mm.db" under the [System] portion of file--I can see that folder and file from the workstation)
3) moved the .ini file to the C:\\Program Files\MediaMonkey folder (where the .exe file sits)
4) Did a search including hidden files to confirm no other .db or .ini files are on the local machine

When I start up MediaMonkey again it has an empty database and the default six Playlists (all had been deleted earlier).

Thanks for any further suggestions!

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 pm

What happens if you don't do step 3.

Phred

Post by Phred » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:15 am

I moved the .ini file back but I still don't get the Playlists that were created on the server. More recent changes to the database don't automatically get imported either (I need to rescan the server location to get them).

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:16 am

And you still have DBName=\\MusicVault\music\mm.db in the ini file?

Phred

Post by Phred » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:45 am

Yes, I do. It's located in C:\Documents and Settings\Phred\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey. I just did another search to verify that there are no other versions of the .ini file on my workstation hard drive.

Here's that portion of the .ini file:

[System]
DBName=\\Musicvault\music\mm.db
Skinned=1
JustInstalled=0
IniVersion=103
FilterActivated=0
ActiveFilterID=0
LockCoverWindowAspectRatio=1
CurrentAspectRatio=1.07916666666667
WinampPath=C:\Program Files\WinAmp\WinAmp.exe
TempDir=C:\Documents and Settings\Phred\Local Settings\Temp\
CacheDir=C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\VirtualCD\
PreviewDir=C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\Previews\
PlayerType=1
IgnoreDriveLetters=AB
CheckForNewVersion=1
ShowTipOfDay=1
ShowPartyDlgAgain=1
AskUserMassEdit=1
StartJustOneInstance=1
LastVersionCheck=5/29/2010 10:19:21 AM
CollectionBrowserVisible=0
InitialViewMode=0
InitialNPViewMode=0
DefaultViewSettings=[very long string deleted for purposes of this post]
ExpandAlbumsByDefault=0
NoOfTracksToShow=7
DontUseCoversCache=0
Show3DMirror=1
LastPlayerMode=1

[Options]

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:47 am

Looks good to me. Wonder if it's a rights thing then? You could try using the DBName method and point to a local folder (and put the DB there too) and see if it works (that would point towards rights being the issue).

Phred

Post by Phred » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:56 am

My music collection is too large to copy onto the local hard drive, so I copied it onto a NAS drive. Still can't see the playlists--none are listed at all under the heading--regardless of where I put the .ini file (in it's default location or with the .exe file, and yes I did remember to edit it again for the new .db location). The most newly added tracks were copied along with the rest of the database but are not showing up in MediaMonkey unless I do another scan into the library.

To test further, I would need to copy only a portion of my library. How do I do that without corrupting the .db file so that I can fully try your experiment? Would I just delete all but a few albums from the Library (without deleting them from the Computer) and then try copying everything over to a local folder?

TIA.
Last edited by Phred on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:24 am

Have you tried starting MM using the /INIfile parameter?
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=45
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Phred

Post by Phred » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:04 am

No, I was unaware of that possibility. Looking quickly at it before leaving for work, I'm not sure where I edit the command line. A quick search of the knowledgebase and the Help database didn't help. Can you point me in the right direction? I'll try it this evening. Thanks!

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:39 am

Phred wrote:No, I was unaware of that possibility. Looking quickly at it before leaving for work, I'm not sure where I edit the command line. A quick search of the knowledgebase and the Help database didn't help. Can you point me in the right direction? I'll try it this evening. Thanks!
You can just change the desktop shortcut so that it points to something like

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.exe" /INIFILE=C:\MMDATA\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:00 pm

I didn't mean to copy your music, just the database itself that you have shared on the NAS. This way you could rule out a connectivity issue with the NAS (like lack of rights).