Win7 Public library permissions not working

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mmfan

Win7 Public library permissions not working

Post by mmfan »

Hi:

I have a Windows 7 machine, and I store all my MP3 files in the Public library (C:\Users\Public\Music). I download MP3s from Amazon.com. This is my typical usage scenario.
  1. Use browser to download MP3 to C:\Users\me\Desktop
  2. Get MediaMonkey to scan Desktop and add tracks to the database
  3. Use MediaMonkey's Organize Files feature to move the files to a subfolder of C:\Users\Public\Music
  4. Log in as another user
  5. Use the Explorer to try to open the file I just moved into C:\Users\Public\Music
At this point, I get an error that I don't have permissions to open the file. I am using the default security settings for C:\Users\Public, which means that any files copied / moved to the folder inherit the permissions of the parent folder, which allows every user on the system to access the files.

As an experiment, I logged back in as the original user, copied the files to a thumb drive formatted as FAT32, and then copied them into C:\Users\Public\Music. This time, the other user was able to access the files just fine.

Is there any way to ensure that MediaMonkey can set the file permissions correctly?

Thanks.
y8 | Miniclip | y3 | friv | ben10 |
Lowlander

Re: Win7 Public library permissions not working

Post by Lowlander »

I wonder if the C:\Users\me\Desktop are carried along when you move the files with MediaMonkey. Those are probably restricting other users from accessing the files.
mmfan

Re: Win7 Public library permissions not working

Post by mmfan »

That's certainly possible. I'll try to just do a plain copy (without MediaMonkey) to see if that too has the same problem. If it does, then clearly what you say is correct.

Thanks.
y8 | Miniclip | y3 | friv | ben10 |