delete id3v1 fields if identical to id3v2

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

lovelove

delete id3v1 fields if identical to id3v2

Post by lovelove » Mon May 17, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi folks. I have a very simple problem, which - surprisingly enough - is still unsolved after a long odyssey which led me to the most renowned places that be, amongst others:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... opic=80531
http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=11736

You guys at MediaMonkey are my last hope. I have never used MediaMonkey, but could you tell me if it has the means to solve the following problem?

I want to parse my whole music collection and delete id3v1 fields that are identical to their v2 counterparts.

In detail, this translates to:

if title_v1 matches title_v2, delete title_v1
if artist_v1 matches artist_v2, delete artist_v1
if album_v1 matches album_v2, delete album_v1
if track_v1 matches track_v2, delete track_v1
if year_v1 matches year_v2, delete year_v1
if comment_v1 matches comment_v2, delete comment_v1
if genre_v1 matches genre_v2, delete genre_v1
go to next file

From what I saw, MediaMonkey features scripting. So is it possible for me to write such a script in MediaMonkey?
thank you so much

rovingcowboy

Re: delete id3v1 fields if identical to id3v2

Post by rovingcowboy » Mon May 17, 2010 4:29 pm

have you tried the options for cleaning the tags. go to tools menu then to advanced tag management then pick the one you want to do. but make sure you do it on a test copy of a song so you don't mess up your library. :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Mon May 17, 2010 4:37 pm

lovelove wrote:From what I saw, MediaMonkey features scripting. So is it possible for me to write such a script in MediaMonkey?
thank you so much
No. There is no way to script id3v1 vs id3v2 tags in MM.

What you can do is,

- use add/rescan to add all tracks to the MM library
- optionally verify the tags match what you want to use
- use the library > files to edit > unsyncronized tags (this will list and hightlight fields which do not match what is shown in the library)
- edit the tags to your liking and/or sync the information shown in MM to the tags (control s)
- clear all id3v1 tags (tools > advanced tag management > clean id3v1 tags)

Personally, I think you worry too much about the id3v1 tags, I just remove them without checking because they are worthless and too limited anyway. (select all files > clean id3v1 tags)

lovelove

Post by lovelove » Mon May 17, 2010 5:02 pm

rovingcowboy wrote:have you tried the options for cleaning the tags.
no, as mentioned above, I never used MediaMonkey
go to tools menu then to advanced tag management then pick the one you want to do.
I appreciate your help, rovingcowboy. Does this ("advanced tag management") achieve precisely what I described in my OP or not?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon May 17, 2010 5:07 pm

Nop it wouldn't, it would just delete all ID3v1 tags. This is why you should consider Teknojnky post if you care about what's in the ID3v1 tags currently.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

lovelove

Post by lovelove » Mon May 17, 2010 5:16 pm

@Teknojnky:
thank you for your help. I appreciate that you tried to come up with a different approach, but I really need to accomplish the task as described in the OP. I understand that MediaMonkey may not provide a solution out of the box built-in in the GUI, but what about the scripts. Don't they allow enough flexibility to compare v1 to v2 tags?

In case this is definitely not possible, let me formulate a Scenario B as an alternative to the OP:

compare id3v1 tag to v2 tag and if identical delete the complete v1 tag
go to next file

So the difference is that the script would not delete individual fields, but complete tags.
Is this feasible ?
Teknojnky wrote:Personally, I think you worry too much about the id3v1 tags, I just remove them without checking because they are worthless and too limited anyway. (select all files > clean id3v1 tags)

I have reasons for not blindly discarding them. (In case you are interested in them, they are described in the OP of the mp3tag.de thread posted above.)

lovelove

Post by lovelove » Mon May 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Lowlander wrote:Nop it wouldn't, it would just delete all ID3v1 tags. This is why you should consider Teknojnky post if you care about what's in the ID3v1 tags currently.
thank you Lowlander. Teknojnky's method consists of editing ALL conflicting tags, then delete ALL v1 tags. But I have a different objective, namely deleting identical fields only.

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Mon May 17, 2010 5:32 pm

I read thru the linked threads, I think your being overly pedant. And from the threads, I do not think I am alone in that observation.

MM absolutely will NOT do what you want in the way you want.

MM scripting does not distinct between id3v1 or id3v2 tags. Tag updates from scripts follow the options set @ tools > options > library > tags & playlists, where you can choose to store v1, v1 and v2, or only v2 tags.

I do believe that MM can help you, if you follow what I proposed above.

In doing so, MM will read the tags and add the information to the library.

If you have files with only v1 tags, the will be read and added to the database.
If you have files with both v1 and v2 tags, both will be read and I am pretty sure that v2 tags will take precedence.
If you have files with only v2 tags, then they will of course be read.

Then using the files to edit > unsyncronized tracks should show you all the tracks which have tags that are inconsistent.

From there you can manually edit/verify the tags you want to use are in the library, and then 'sync' them by control s. Afterwards you can then clean the v1 tags.

If you want to clean up your metadata and have consistent tags, you may also want to check out musicbrainz picard.

It also will not do exactly what you are asking, but again what you are asking is irrelevant if you want up to date and consistent tags.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon May 17, 2010 6:26 pm

What would be the point of keeping ID3v1 tags that are different from ID3v2 tags? Wouldn't one of them be incorrect and should thus be deleted?

lovelove

Post by lovelove » Mon May 17, 2010 7:18 pm

@Teknojnky: Thank you for your effort involved in making such a lengthy reply. I have been using Picard for ~2 years and I'm very fond of it. And thank you also for confirming that MediaMonkey cannot help me with the task described in the OP, although that's certainly very sad news for me. (I don't hink I will find any other program now, because mp3 tag editors with scripting abilities are very rare. The only other one I've heard of is MP3tag). The reason why it is infeasible for me to follow your method is that I would have to go through my entire music collection and manually edit/verify the inconsistant tags of ALL files before I can delete ALL v1 tags, and this would take weeks. On the contrary, the task in my OP can be carried out immediately without any manual work beforehand.

@Lowlander: Actually, I want to get rid of ALL my v1 tags eventually. But due to my somewhat random use of software capable of mp3 tagging in my computer infancy, I am left with a considerable amount of mp3s with conflicting tags. So I cannot blindly delete v1 tags without losing a lot of information. So the deletion of my v1 tags must be a 3-step process:
1) delete identical v1 fields (e.g. if artist_v1 = artist_v2 then delete artist_v1)
2) manually review and edit the remaining tags (little by little, on an occasional basis)
3) every once in a while go back to 1) (which will now find new identical fields ready for deletion due to the manual sync in 2))

I hope I managed to clear this up a little bit?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon May 17, 2010 8:07 pm

The Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags can aid in finding tracks with differing ID3v1 & V2 tags, but MediaMonkey can't show you both. Maybe you could create a playlist of those tracks and then use that in a program that can display both versions. That would reduce the list of tracks you'd have to review.

lovelove

Post by lovelove » Mon May 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Thank you Lowlander.
Lowlander wrote:The Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags can aid in finding tracks with differing ID3v1 & V2 tags, but MediaMonkey can't show you both.

Actually I don't need MediaMonkey to show me anything, it would be enough to delete (as mentioned above). But teknojnky wrote that this is not possible.

But this:
Lowlander wrote:The Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags can aid in finding tracks with differing ID3v1 & V2 tags,

would still be a LOT of help for me.You say that MM can find tracks with differing ID3v1 and v2 tags. Can I tell MM to delete the id3v1 tags for all other files (with identical tags)? That's actually what I talked about in posting #6 (blue text).
Last edited by lovelove on Tue May 18, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Mon May 17, 2010 8:52 pm

no it won't as lowlander said.

i had thought you was wanting to clean the tags.

so lowlander and Teknojnky are the ones to follow on this. :D

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon May 17, 2010 10:33 pm

No and you don't want it to as those tracks have differing values. But save the tracks to a playlist and you now have a list of tracks that might have differing ID3v1 and v2 tags. Now you'd need another program that can show you both ID3v1 and v2 values and allows you to make the necessary edits. After that you could use MediaMonkey to delete all ID3v1 tags on all files.

lovelove

Post by lovelove » Tue May 18, 2010 4:30 am

Good catch, Lowlander, I made a mistake in my last posting. I have corrected it above. Of course I meant deleting identical tags, not differing ones.
The reference to the blue text in posting #6 was correct though.

If MM can find a list of differing v1 and v2 tags, I would assume that this automatically means that MM can also find a list of NOT differing v1 and v2 tags. And I would also assume that MM is able to delete v1 tags for all files in this list.

And even if this were not possible, I could still use that list of files with differing tags and subtract this list of files from all the files ... the rest are the files with identical tags. I could then use another program to mass-delete the v1 tags for these files.

So either way, I think MM can help there.
Am I correct in my assessment?