Media Monkey + Explorer Integration

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

YmerejO42

Media Monkey + Explorer Integration

Post by YmerejO42 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:29 am

I've tried searching, can't find anything on the forums about this. The issue I'm having is that whenever I'm browsing through my music library, if I double-click on a file MediaMonkey pops up and starts playing it. The first time, this is very good, since MM has to launch on that occasion.. After that, though, I just want it to start playing the new song I'm clicking, without showing up. Unfortunately, when I do so, MM once again pops up, blocking my view of the rest of my computer, and forcing me to click the "Close" button to send it back to my system tray. Is there any way to set it so that MM will just start playing the file, without restoring itself? This is a very annoying issue when all I'm wanting is some background music while sorting my music or I'm listening to some new tracks I have converted.

Lowlander

Re: Media Monkey + Explorer Integration

Post by Lowlander » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:00 pm

Why not use MediaMonkey itself to sort/play music instead of Windows Explorer?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

YmerejO42

Post by YmerejO42 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:50 pm

I would, but I don't want to have a folder with over 9,000 files in it. Windows tends to choke when you do things like that. So I sort them out by artist/album, then (normally) just use MM to listen to what I want. Sometimes, though, I'll purchase a bunch of albums, and when I rip them, I randomly sample songs to make sure that they were converted properly and there were no errors. That's the main time I run into this problem.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:18 pm

MediaMonkey allows you to organize in any folder configuration you want (check out Tools > Auto-Organize Files for that). Also MediaMonkey basically has an Explorer interface you can use in the Location node and added you can browse by Artist, Album etc. as well without depending on folders.

YmerejO42

Post by YmerejO42 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:40 pm

This is quickly getting away from the question I asked. For my own, personal reasons, I prefer to use Windows Explorer at certain times to look through my music collection. It is my belief that when I double-click a file in Windows Explorer, it should start playing in MM, WITHOUT causing MM to restore itself from the system tray. How do I enable this behavior?

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:58 pm

YmerejO42 wrote:This is quickly getting away from the question I asked. For my own, personal reasons, I prefer to use Windows Explorer at certain times to look through my music collection. It is my belief that when I double-click a file in Windows Explorer, it should start playing in MM, WITHOUT causing MM to restore itself from the system tray. How do I enable this behavior?
There's no way to change that behavior.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:05 pm

YmerejO42 wrote:For my own, personal reasons, I prefer to use Windows Explorer.
That's fine, but MediaMonkey provides exactly the same functionality as Windows Explorer without the problem.

YmerejO42

Post by YmerejO42 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:41 am

That's the issue is that MM doesn't provide the same functionality. In Explorer, I can view my songs as a list, and see approximately 125 on screen at any one time, depending on the song title's length. In MM, I can see exactly 40 at a time.

Bex

Post by Bex » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:03 am

When I double click a file in explorer while MM is either minimized or in micro player state, it does not restore itself. It just plays the file.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:20 am

Checking here Explorer shows me 61, and MediaMonkey 67 and that is with the player docked in the bottom.

gggirlgeek

Post by gggirlgeek » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Try either using the mini player mode or adding Media Monkey toolbar to the task bar (right click the task bar>Tool bars> Media Monkey. It shouldn't maximize in these modes unless you specifically hit the maximize button.
My current favorite software: MediaMonkey Gold!