Multi Value Tag Separator (Delimiter) of Artists in MP3

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Metazargo

Multi Value Tag Separator (Delimiter) of Artists in MP3

Post by Metazargo »

I've realized that the separator for artist and album artist written to the files isn't recognized by my media server Squeezebox, and the combos are shown as 'Arits1/Artist2'. I've set the separator in my media server to ';', the same setting I have in MM.

After testing through multiple cases I found out that in mp3 files the separator of the artist id3 tag is written as slash '/' although set in MM to ';', by design of MM. In contrary he genre separator of mp3 files remains a semicolon ';'. This means that any tag I choose in MM will be written to the artist tag of the mp3 file as '/'.

By this mixed separator setting on mp3, I'm forced to use in MM '/' as my separator to achieve a homogeneous behavior on the side of the media server. With i.e. m4a, both artist and genre separator are ';', I haven't tested all extensions.

In my Squeezebox Server I can set only one separator for all tags; artists, genre. From my 30'000 tracks about 40 artists, and 2 genres use '/' as part of their names. I dislike the slash '/' as a separator in general. I would prefer '|' , or like now ';'.

What would you recommend to do, give up, and use '/' throughout as separator? Thanks for ideas.

Have you encountered any negative effect in MM while changing the separator from ';' to '/'?

Related readings:
----
Problematic artist names [#5480, #5529]: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =6&t=20185
Music is the Answer

Manage it with MediaMonkey
LIsten to it on Squeezebox Touch, -Radio, -Controller, -Receiver, Squeezelite-X, iPeng on iPhone
Serve it by Squeezebox Server aka LMS running on QNAP
Store it to NAS Raid 1 with backup to OneDrive
nohitter151

Re: Multi Value Tag Separator (Delimiter) of Artists in MP3

Post by nohitter151 »

That's because the standard delimiter for ID3 tags in mp3 files is the "/". For cosmetic purposes, you can change what shows in MM, but the slash will always be written to the actual tags.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Metazargo

Post by Metazargo »

nohitter151 wrote:For cosmetic purposes, you can change what shows in MM, but the slash will always be written to the actual tags.
I need an inherent solution, which would apply the same tagging on all media files. But, as '/' is a standard for ID3 artist delimiter in mp3 it would probably makes sense if Squeezebox Server could be configured to have different delimiters for different tags for different file types.

I.e. TwonkyMedia server doesn't allow setting a custom delimiter, therefore only '/' works.

This leads me to the conclusion, if MediaMonkey manages a library used by media servers, always '/' should be used as delimiter. Any objection?
Music is the Answer

LIsten to it on Squeezebox Touch, -Radio, -Controller, -Receiver, Squeezelite-X, iPeng on iPhone
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey should use whatever the tagging standard defines.
diver46p

Post by diver46p »

Me too have long been looking around what seemed to be an error until I found out that MM always uses a / within the file, but shows whatever you like in the program window - which I don't find a good solution. A program should represent the de facto file content!
ID3.org defines a NULL-character as delimiter. I don't know a software which reflects this recommendation. Nevertheless it would be helpful to have the delimiter set by the user (including the NULL character - $00 or x00, however you like).
By the way: What are you doin' with AC/DC as interpreter? What shows up?
I hope that there will come a time, when all those inconsistencies betwee tagger, player, music server and so on will have been resolved. But i fear I will not be listening to any music anylonger at that time.
diver
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

AC/DC works fine. MediaMonkey uses a customizable delimiter in the program for user benefit. ; is very rare in the Artist name whereas / is more common, but if ; doesn't work for you something else can be chosen. What's saved in the tags should always be what the standard defines.

As for those with a Squeezebox (and other devices) it would make sense that those follow the tagging standards as well.
Metazargo

Post by Metazargo »

The problem is that MM doesn't use the same delimiter within the files:

If you choose ';' then you have a '/' in artists but still ';' in genres.

So I have to use '/' as the delimiter for all and mask AC/DC with AC//DC or the media server (in my case SB) supports mixed delimiters.
Music is the Answer

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Metazargo wrote:The problem is that MM doesn't use the same delimiter within the files:

If you choose ';' then you have a '/' in artists but still ';' in genres.

So I have to use '/' as the delimiter for all and mask AC/DC with AC//DC or the media server (in my case SB) supports mixed delimiters.
No, that's not true. for mp3 files, the / delimiter should be used for all fields.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Metazargo

Post by Metazargo »

nohitter151 wrote:No, that's not true. for mp3 files, the / delimiter should be used for all fields.
Should, maybe yes. But this what I get using MM 3.2.4.1304 opening the MP3 file:

Code: Select all

ID3    TPE1      A Camp/AAAA;AAAATALB   )  O.TPE2      CollectionTIT2      Song For The LeftoversTRCK      1COMM      XXX 1TCON      Singer & Songwriter; RockCOMM      XXXSongs-DB_Custom2 CO4AB   

In MM options I have set ';' as the global delimiter
Track Artist is: 'A Camp; AAAA;;AAAA'
Genre is: 'Singer & Songwriter; Rock'
Music is the Answer

Metazargo

Post by Metazargo »

I was able to advance in this problem.

MM stores multiple artists in TPE1 and TPE2 separated by "/" following the standard. See also this discussion http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... &start=150

I only found out now that Squeezebox Server can recognize multiple separators. Set 'Separator for Multiple Items in Tags' in SBS to "; /", and it perfectly separates genres and track- and album artists. This wasn't documented, therefore I started this thread.

But now I have the AC/DC problem, of course it splits to AC and DC among other affected artists names.

I haven't found yet a solution for this, e.g. a mask which SBS would not split but replace by a readable "/". See also here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post656763 questioning the same.
Music is the Answer

Metazargo

Workaround: Multi Value Tag Separator of Artists in MP3

Post by Metazargo »

I cut the long story short:

I replaced slashes '/' of artists and album artists by backslashes '\' on 0.3% of all tracks.
Music is the Answer