No playback on laptop, but desktop ok

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Fredo

No playback on laptop, but desktop ok

Post by Fredo »

Hi, folks:

I use MM gold on my desktop. The database and music library are on an external USB drive. I cloned the drive and attached it to my laptop. I downloaded and installed the latest version of MM. Then I edited MediaMonkey.ini to point to the external drive.

The database pulls up tracks just fine. When I play a track, however, it starts to play and then after 2 seconds, stops. The track status info at the bottom right says "stopped".

Both systems are running Win XP Pro / SP3. The laptop is a 5 year old Dell d810. I upgraded drives and memory.

MM tracks are encoded in Flac. The Flac codec dll is present in the MM plugins directory.

Other audio plays ok through the laptop internal speakers.

Not sure where to look to diagnose and fix this problem.

Help, please!

Thanks,

Fred
Lowlander

Re: No playback on laptop, but desktop ok

Post by Lowlander »

Try playing a track that fails to play from Windows Explorer in MediaMonkey.

You can also try switching output plugin and make sure the correct Audio Device is enabled (Tools > Options > Output Plugin).

Are you saying that you actually hear audio for 2 seconds?
Fredo

Post by Fredo »

Hi:

Thanks for your reply.

To clarify: I am getting NO sound at all from MM, although the track appears to play for 2 seconds, then quits.

Now here's the interesting part: when I play a flac track in my music library via Directory Opus (the best replacement in the world for Windoze Explorer), it plays ok - and it plays through MM (since I initially made the file association from flac to MM).

But when I play the track directly in MM, I get the problem I described.

I changed output plugins and tried both output plugins, and also tried all configuration settings, but that didn't help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check the path of the file, it probably isn't a correct path.

Also see:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... 94&nav=0,5
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
Fredo

Post by Fredo »

Hi:

No, that is not the issue - the music library tracks are not grayed out.

I uninstalled and reinstalled. Then I did a diff between the new install ini file and the ini file from my desktop. I changed the new ini file database and library location to the USB drive. Then I retested as above, with exactly the same results.

Question: do MM "support" folks monitor these threads, or does one have to post under the "support" forum to get more involved support?

Thanks very much,

Fred
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So the Paths listed in MediaMonkey are correct and this is where the files are located?
Fredo

Post by Fredo »

Yes, the paths in MediaMonkey.ini are correct - I just checked. Note that the path to winamp.exe was not correct in my first install, but it is correct at this time. The problem remains.

Is there any way to enable diagnostics and log output in MM?

Fred
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I meant the Paths for the tracks inside MediaMonkey itself. For a track that doesn't play check the Path MediaMonkey shows it's located at. Is the path shown valid? For example it might have a question mark at the start or point to a location the track isn't located.
Fredo

Post by Fredo »

Hmmm. I viewed a track in MM, then right clicked, then selected properties. The path of the track is:
[Music1]\Music\Music Library\... followed by the rest of the path. But that's the label on the drive connected to the desktop. The laptop music drive label is:
[Bkp]\Music\Music Library\...

I checked the ini file and could not find any reference to Music1.

Do you think this is the problem and if so, how would I fix it?

Thanks,

Fred
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes this is the problem, MediaMonkey doesn't use the drive letter, instead it uses the drive ID. See solution here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
Fredo

Post by Fredo »

Thank you! I will try this approach within two days. I'll post here if it does not work.

Thanks again,

Fred
Fredo

Post by Fredo »

Hi:

Ok, I installed and ran the script identified above. But I could not get it to work correctly.

So I found this thread:
How to Tell MediaMonkey Your Files Are on a New Drive
http://www.plasticsun.com/GiantInternat ... wDrive.htm

I followed the procedures and edited the MM database to point to the new drive. Everything plays ok now.

I know it's been discussed on other threads mentioned above, but it sure is a difficult process to move or clone the database to another drive.

Thanks again for your help,

Fred