All playlists blank

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

EvilPeppard

All playlists blank

Post by EvilPeppard » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:45 pm

All of my playlists in MM are blank, including the imported playlists. If I open Winamp or Windows Media Player, the playlists are populated and play as I would expect. I am using Windows 7 and MM version 3.2.4.1304. I am a gold license holder.

The change occurred when I had recently turned on the Volume Leveling option of 'automatically analyze volume of unanalyzed tracks'. I didn't realize this option would go through all my music and irreversibly change the MP3 files. I know now after researching it on these forums. Anyway, this option changed the level of all my music to a level I did not like. Since it was irreversible, I used a backup of my music (I always backup before I make any changes or if I add new music to my library) and restored all my music to the same location on the computer with the same exact names. Since I completed that restore, all my playlists are blank, yet still work fine in WinAmp and WMP.

I've searched these forums and even tried the File\Add/Rescan feature, but my lists are still blank. Any other ideas I can try? These playlists are very important to me, hence why I create exports to .M3U, but as of now these .M3U playlists are useless in MM.

Thank you for any ideas.
"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."

Lowlander

Re: All playlists blank

Post by Lowlander » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:49 pm

Either through an action by you (like clearing the database after restoring the tracks) or because MediaMonkey didn't recognize the files as the same this problem arose. As MediaMonkey links the tracks on your playlists with the tracks in the database this can occur.

Importing any external playlists should work as they contain valid paths to the tracks. Any MediaMonkey only playlists are probably lost unless you have a backup of the database (MM.DB) from before restoring the backupped tracks.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

EvilPeppard

Post by EvilPeppard » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:56 pm

Lowlander wrote:Either through an action by you (like clearing the database after restoring the tracks) or because MediaMonkey didn't recognize the files as the same this problem arose. As MediaMonkey links the tracks on your playlists with the tracks in the database this can occur.

Importing any external playlists should work as they contain valid paths to the tracks. Any MediaMonkey only playlists are probably lost unless you have a backup of the database (MM.DB) from before restoring the backupped tracks.
Thanks for the quick reply. As I stated, the imported playlists are also blank. I have even done the File\Add/Rescan and even the imported ones are still blank. I would have expected the regular playlists to be blank, but not the imported ones. I've seen this behavior before when I have purged my library and reimported it, but this is the first time I have ever seen my imported playlists blank.

I did not perform any 'clearing of the database' that I am aware of. I simply deleted all my files from my Music folder, opened MM, selected all my music files and removed them, closed MM, copied all my files back over from the backup, then launched MM and let the files all scan back in. Would this procedure "clear the database"?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:13 pm

EvilPeppard wrote:I did not perform any 'clearing of the database' that I am aware of. I simply deleted all my files from my Music folder, opened MM, selected all my music files and removed them, closed MM, copied all my files back over from the backup, then launched MM and let the files all scan back in. Would this procedure "clear the database"?
Yes, that constitutes the same when it comes to playlists. Playlists in MediaMonkey point to database entries (not to file locations) and thus when you removed the tracks you removed them from the playlists as well.

For imported playlists I would suggest removing all the blank ones, rescan the folders where both the playlists and music files are stored (music needs to be added in order for the playlists to work).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

EvilPeppard

Post by EvilPeppard » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Lowlander wrote:
EvilPeppard wrote: For imported playlists I would suggest removing all the blank ones, rescan the folders where both the playlists and music files are stored (music needs to be added in order for the playlists to work).
Thanks. Ironically, that is exactly what I was doing when this reply came in from you. MM is taking a while and still processing the last of my playlists, which makes me believe they will now be populated. I will report back shortly once the process completes and let you know the results.

EvilPeppard

Post by EvilPeppard » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:24 pm

EvilPeppard wrote:
Lowlander wrote:
EvilPeppard wrote: For imported playlists I would suggest removing all the blank ones, rescan the folders where both the playlists and music files are stored (music needs to be added in order for the playlists to work).
Thanks. Ironically, that is exactly what I was doing when this reply came in from you. MM is taking a while and still processing the last of my playlists, which makes me believe they will now be populated. I will report back shortly once the process completes and let you know the results.
Ok, deleting all the imported playlists worked. I deleted all imported playlists, closed MM, then reopened it. When the 'monitoring' process started and hit my playlists folder containing my .M3Us, it processed each and every one of them. The imported playlists are now populated again.

Thank you for the quick responses. :)