"Ghost" subscriptions appear in Podcast directory

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Ondrej

"Ghost" subscriptions appear in Podcast directory

Post by Ondrej » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:44 am

Hi All

Hope someone can help me out here. I didn't find anything on this in the KB, I hope the issue is known and a solution available:

I download a lot of NetAudio releases, teasers and other legally free content via Podcast. The list of subscriptions is in the 30ies. Every time I update my Podcasts MM adds a lot of "dead", say grayed out subscriptions to the list that sometimes seem to be a subset of a 'bonafide' Podcast, and in rare cases even albums in the Library. Either way, they don't belong there. Those "ghost subscriptions" appear in numbers somewhere around 80-100, so cleaning them up takes a considerable amount of time. But even after I delete them they will reappear after the next update (I update my podcasts manually). So do 'bonafide' Podcasts I unsubscribed and deleted, even after I moved the folder with episodes elsewhere.

When I look at the podcast properties there is no URL. MM doesn't allow to make any changes and save subscription unless a URL is given. Deleting does work.

I wonder if I have overlooked some podcast related setting that are misconfigured?
I tried probably all possible combinations of the limited settings the "Podcast" branch of the Options menu has, but the problem persists. The "ghost" subscriptions come back every time I choose to update the Podcasts.

Some additional thoughts:

Can it be that MM is interpreting single or several episodes as separate subscription when they have a URL in the Album or Comment properties? If so how can I stop that behavior?

What is your recommendation on treating Podcasts in the library? My Podcast folder is about 100GB because it tend to leave episodes/songs for ever in the subscription subfolder and build playlists from there. Any suggestions for a better way to handle extensive music collection if they consist mainly of podcasts, which means single tracks rather than whole albums?

Thanks,
Ondrej

nohitter151

Re: "Ghost" subscriptions appear in Podcast directory

Post by nohitter151 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 am

I don't follow you. Downloaded podcasts show as "grey" in the podcast node? Have you checked that the files were actually downloaded and are present on your HDD?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Ondrej

Post by Ondrej » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi Nohitter151

Those pseudo subscriptions show up out of the blue, they are grayed out, and when i look at the properties they have no podcast URL.
I recognize the subscription name, it is either a duplicate of an existing subscription with only a subset of the episodes showing (and there can exist up to 5 duplicates), or part of a URL pointing to an existing podcast, or even an album.

And yes, unless I missed something all the episodes actually exist as files on my HDD.

One correction to my previous post: those ghost subscriptions do not appear every time I update my podcast episodes, but when I rescan the podcast folder to the library. Sorry for the confusion :oops:

Cheers,
Ondrej

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Ondrej wrote:Hi Nohitter151

Those pseudo subscriptions show up out of the blue, they are grayed out, and when i look at the properties they have no podcast URL.
I recognize the subscription name, it is either a duplicate of an existing subscription with only a subset of the episodes showing (and there can exist up to 5 duplicates), or part of a URL pointing to an existing podcast, or even an album.

And yes, unless I missed something all the episodes actually exist as files on my HDD.

One correction to my previous post: those ghost subscriptions do not appear every time I update my podcast episodes, but when I rescan the podcast folder to the library. Sorry for the confusion :oops:

Cheers,
Ondrej
Oh, so they are subscriptions, I missed that. Probably when you rescan the podcast folder MM is adding some of those files in there as new subscriptions. Why are you rescanning the podcast folder?

ps see here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=108

telliott

Post by telliott » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:09 pm

I am having this problem too after migrating my podcasts to MM. The explanation in the link above is very simplistic and doesn't really address the issue. There really needs a way to tell MM NOT to add podcasts without feed URLs to the list of subscribed podcasts. If files of a single podcast have slightly different fields, MM is going to read them as different podcasts and there appears to be nothing I can do about it except maybe manually editing all the files in my podcast folder.

Tim

telliott

Post by telliott » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:01 pm

I'm really pissed trying to sort out my subscriptions. Is there any way to sort out my subscriptions list by actual subscriptions and crap MM has added with blank URLs? I have already deleted the old podcast episodes from the library and made sure MM is NOT scanning the old folder. New podcasts are being downloaded to a new folder. It shouldn't be this hard to actually tell MM exactly what podcasts I want to subscribe to.

Part of my problem is I have a playlist that has a bunch of old podcasts in it I want to keep synced to my player. I shouldn't be forced to delete these from my library

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:06 pm

telliott wrote: Is there any way to sort out my subscriptions list by actual subscriptions and crap MM has added with blank URLs?
You mean other than looking at each subscription? No.

Ondrej

Post by Ondrej » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 am

@ telliot:

Maintaining a music library with MM seems to be a lot of manual work. I finally submitted to the fact and tag/autotag every file, folder and album manually, say I choose a bunch of files that logically belong together, run first the IP-tagger script over them, and finish editing them manually. This is even more necessary when most of your music comes from Net-Audio where the ID tagging is not very reliable anyways. I became to use the Album Artist field a lot doing this.

For podcasts a possible way would e.g. be to use the album artist field for the podcast name, then auto organize your old subscriptions using the mask
"[your drive letter]:\[your library folder]\<Album Artist aka Podcast>-<Album>\<Artist>-<Title>"
Where album, artist and title are either what IP-Tagger finds, and for the blanks enter what you find on the Podcasts website. Not very automatic after all, but that's how I do it.

I wish there was an easier way, but the again, I tried Windows Media Player and Real Player, and those didn't make things much easier either. They are better in tagging stuff, no idea why, but that's about the only advantage I can see. Never tried iTunes, 'though (never touching anything from Apple! :P )
Below are a few answers I got by opening a support ticket for this. They might explain something...

---

"(...) this grayed out subscriptions are auto-created when re-scanning podcasts folder for files already downloaded. This way one can alive already downloaded (and unsubscribed) podcasts by entering the feed URL and the already downlaoded episodes are assigned.
If you don't want this grayed out podcasts then move the files to another location than Podcast directory or simply delete them from library. (...)"

"(...) there is no standard for podcast URL in the file tags. The "Album" tag stores just name of the podcast subscription. When rescanning the files MM just checks the Album info and tries to find corresponding subscription (with the same name. e.g. "CNN News Update"). If it finds corresponding subscription then (based on the others metadata) the episode is assigned to the subscription. If it doesn't find corresponding subscription called "CNN News Update" then new (grayed out) subscription "CNN News Update" is created and needs to be activated by entering the subscription/feed URL via 'Edit Subscription' action. (...)"

---

Moderator, I hope it is O.K. to re-post those here? I wasn't sure if I should add the submitters name and opted against.