Tried to backup library, now MM is all scerwed up

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

spookyfox

Tried to backup library, now MM is all scerwed up

Post by spookyfox »

I recently downgraded from MM 4 to 3.2.4, and I tried to backup the library. As I understood, all I had to do was save the MM Data Base File in Local settings\AppData\Mediamonkey, but just in case I backed up that whole folder. After downgrading I replace the MM file and when I open the MM player I get an access error 00000something, the black square thingie with the monkey logo stays on top of my screen all the time, and the player opens. Thinking this could have something to do with the fact that MM 4 had video support and I had video files on my library, I try to remove them from it, but everytime I do MediaMonkey freezes and I have to force it to close.

What am I doing wrong?
Lowlander

Re: Tried to backup library, now MM is all scerwed up

Post by Lowlander »

The MediaMonkey 4 database isn't compatible with MediaMonkey 3 so you can't use it. There might be a backup of your MM3 database in the same folder though.
spookyfox

Post by spookyfox »

Lowlander wrote:The MediaMonkey 4 database isn't compatible with MediaMonkey 3 so you can't use it. There might be a backup of your MM3 database in the same folder though.
How do I find that out? I saved the folder with everything inside. At this point I think if I lost all my MM library I'll just uninstall it and migrate to iTunes.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

look in the program files folder for mediamonkey and in the data folder there it would be mmdb.bak .
if no data folder look in search from windows start button link, for hidden files and the name mmdb it should find
all of monkeys databases you have on the system. check the dates to see which is the oldest one or the one before you had
installed mm 4. it should be in same folder the new one is in monkey just renames it bak and slides it to the side.
:)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
spookyfox

Post by spookyfox »

There is no mmdb.bak :( I backed up the app data folder, but not the MediaMonkey folder in program files. Now I'll have to find a good program to convert all my FLAC's to mp3's for iTunes :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4 can do this for you if you didn't backup the MM3 database.
spookyfox

Post by spookyfox »

Thanks guys, but I think I'll just stay with a converter and iTunes. Perhaps I'll come back to MM once it's compatible wit iOS 5 for syncing.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

oh man what a loss all that time in setting it up.

us troop members feel for you. :( :cry:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.