Should I use MP3Gain to level tracks?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

music_sc

Should I use MP3Gain to level tracks?

Post by music_sc »

I'm new to Media Monkey and was just doing some searching about how to level tracks. What I learned so far is that earlier releases of MM did not include an option to level tracks so everybody used MP3Gain, a program that is no longer being updated. I see that MM now offers track leveling but I'm still not sure if using MP3Gain is a better option. For example, MP3Gain does lossless level changes that can be undone and I'm not sure if MM does the same thing.

And just to be clear, my goal is to level tracks in my entire music library before storing on an MP3 player or uploading to my Amazon Cloud Drive. I will rarely use the MM player to listen to music.

I thought it might be good to ask other MM users here if they would still recommend using MP3Gain or if they're now comfortable leveling tracks in MM.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Should I use MP3Gain to level tracks?

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can't reverse Level Volume. However it can Level Volume when syncing thus allowing you to use Analyze Volume with MediaMonkey and Level Volume for synced files.

In your case it would same that using MP3Gain is a better option.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

music_sc wrote:I thought it might be good to ask other MM users here if they would still recommend using MP3Gain
Yes. Even so it's an old software (2004) I use it since then. Volume leveling can be changed/undone at any time. Great little program.

You can link it to MediaMonkey with External Tools script: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=15381

:~)
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
_Chris_

Post by _Chris_ »

music_sc wrote:For example, MP3Gain does lossless level changes that can be undone and I'm not sure if MM does the same thing.

Thanks!
Interesting post - would the level volume in MM Gold be lossless ? ?
music_sc

Post by music_sc »

I used MP3Gain on all my tracks but after using the MM rescan option the new levels were not displayed in MM. I played some of the tracks and there were definitely uneven levels. I wonder, do I need to delete all the files in MM and then "add" them again?
JamesYech

Post by JamesYech »

music_sc wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:07 pm I used MP3Gain on all my tracks but after using the MM rescan option the new levels were not displayed in MM. I played some of the tracks and there were definitely uneven levels. I wonder, do I need to delete all the files in MM and then "add" them again?
This is still an issue in 2019. I have not been able to get MM to import the leveling done by MP3Gain. Any ideas? Anyone? Thanks!
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

JamesYech wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:05 pm
music_sc wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:07 pm I used MP3Gain on all my tracks but after using the MM rescan option the new levels were not displayed in MM. I played some of the tracks and there were definitely uneven levels. I wonder, do I need to delete all the files in MM and then "add" them again?
This is still an issue in 2019. I have not been able to get MM to import the leveling done by MP3Gain. Any ideas? Anyone? Thanks!
Just wondering if you ever figured out how to get MM to recognize MP3Gain tags, or is this still an issue?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you try to install mmw as portable and then use My computer tree nodes to browse some selected files in temp folder to see if gain is read correctly and tracks play correctly?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts