To upgrade or not - that is the question..

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

raharris

To upgrade or not - that is the question..

Post by raharris »

I have a liftetime MM gold license

Happy with version 3 - just need a music player. I have other ways to deal with movies and ipod of no interest to me.

I am most intersted in sound quality and UI functionality. Recent stereo nerd magazine (Absolute Sound) - not kind to SOUND quality of MM vs J. river 17, for example.

I tried J. River and UI is not great IMO, particularly compared to MM. It was also far sloooooower, often sludge like

So

1) Theoretically, does MM4 sound any better than MM3? I am willing to use wasapi, etc
2) Would I lose lyricator or lyrics view capability with upgrade?
3) Is MM$ much more resource intensive than MM3 (ie is it gonna be slower)
4) If I back up my library like a good boy, will I be able to go back to MM3 with only hassle of reinstalling..? If I reinstall, will I have to do the Lyricator, Lyrics viewer again also
5) Can I use the Portable version 4 AND keep Verison 3 (just in case)? What do I not get with the Portable Version?

6) Should I upgrade: I am mainly interested in better quality sound unless some new AUDIO features are just killer useful

thanks

raharris, md
BKKKPewsey

Re: To upgrade or not - that is the question..

Post by BKKKPewsey »

raharris wrote:Can I use the Portable version 4 AND keep Verison 3 (just in case)? What do I not get with the Portable Version?
I can answer that one as yes - just copy your MM3 db to the MM4 portable location and then run them as separate entities.
The only thing I think you lose is the micro player.
raharris wrote:Would I lose lyricator or lyrics view capability with upgrade?
I am running lyricator and lyrics and comments viewer in MM4 np.
raharris wrote:Is MM$ much more resource intensive than MM3 (ie is it gonna be slower)
Umm! I think you need to try that for yourself - I find it, for some jobs, a lot slower with my hardware but some users say its quicker :-?
With regard to the sound no comment as I don't really use MM for that -its most tagging and organisation :)
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
theta_wave

Re: To upgrade or not - that is the question..

Post by theta_wave »

raharris wrote: 1) Theoretically, does MM4 sound any better than MM3? I am willing to use wasapi, etc
I cannot say that it sounds better and when I tried WASAPI, it crashed. I can say that using the default output plugin resulted hearing skipping on one of my mp3s. I relistened to the mp3 in VLC and, later, mediamonkey3, and the sound came out clean without any skipping. Mind you, I'm using mediamonkey on a core2duo lappy.
raharris wrote: 3) Is MM$ much more resource intensive than MM3 (ie is it gonna be slower)
Database queries via searches or autoplaylists was neither faster nor slower than mm3.
raharris wrote: 4) If I back up my library like a good boy, will I be able to go back to MM3 with only hassle of reinstalling..? If I reinstall, will I have to do the Lyricator, Lyrics viewer again also
I went back to MM3 in the manner you stated by simply reinstalling and moving over my scripts and skins back to their original locations. Since mediamonkey 4 uses completely differently directories for its settings than mediamonkey 3, a simple reinstall of mediamonkey 3 sufficed. Still, it is a good idea to backup your database when doing anything major. I didn't because I tried MM4 for a second time and decided to go back to MM4
raharris wrote: 6) Should I upgrade: I am mainly interested in better quality sound unless some new AUDIO features are just killer useful
That's up to you. Bit perfect playback may be important for you, so it might be worth the leap considering how you can go back to MM3 pretty easily. As for myself, small design choices, lack of skins and the removal/regression of some options in MM4 caused me to revert back to MM3.
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin