Stop MM4 scanning my music folder

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MeMeMe

Stop MM4 scanning my music folder

Post by MeMeMe »

I just upgraded to MM4, and found MM scanned my entire My Music folder, despite the fact i had only selected Music/Songs.
I tried to delete all the tracks from my Music/Temp folder: in the past I would have the option of deleting just from the librarey, nut not the hard drive. When i select delete now, it just offers "are you sure you want to delete these tracks" and I dont know if its going to wipe them from my hard drive.

I have a folder monitor set on My Music/Songs, and NOT on My Music (or My Music/Temp).
How can i clean up my library: get these files out of the library without deleting them from the hard drive, and ensure they wont be scanned again?
nohitter151

Re: Stop MM4 scanning my music folder

Post by nohitter151 »

MeMeMe wrote:I just upgraded to MM4, and found MM scanned my entire My Music folder, despite the fact i had only selected Music/Songs.
I tried to delete all the tracks from my Music/Temp folder: in the past I would have the option of deleting just from the librarey, nut not the hard drive. When i select delete now, it just offers "are you sure you want to delete these tracks" and I dont know if its going to wipe them from my hard drive.
This means you're looking at a "My computer" node, not a library node. So you are only offered to delete the files from the computer since you're not looking at your library.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MeMeMe

Post by MeMeMe »

Oh yes, that's part of it.
I drilled down to the all computer node to find a way to easily select all the files to delete them.
But that doesn't alter the central issue - they were still scanned in to the library.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure My Music isn't enabled in the File > Add/Rescan Files dialogs Folder Monitoring section? Or enabled in the left side and then scanned on manual scans?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MeMeMe wrote:Oh yes, that's part of it.
I drilled down to the all computer node to find a way to easily select all the files to delete them.
But that doesn't alter the central issue - they were still scanned in to the library.
If you want to use library options then use the "Location" node, instead of "My computer".
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MeMeMe

Post by MeMeMe »

nohitter151 wrote:
MeMeMe wrote:Oh yes, that's part of it.
If you want to use library options then use the "Location" node, instead of "My computer".
As I explained in my previous post, I only drilled down into my Computer *after* the problem occurred. I have been using MM since the early days of MM2, I do know my way around the interface. I just hadn't used the My computer root in so long I forgot delete worked differently there.
Lowlander wrote:Are you sure My Music isn't enabled in the File > Add/Rescan Files dialogs Folder Monitoring section? Or enabled in the left side and then scanned on manual scans?
The problem is solved now, but here's what happened.

I dont do manual scans, I just rely on File Monitor. After I installed MM4 and ran it the first time, no problem. The second time I started it up though, I got a "1100 new tracks found," and that's when the problem started.

I'd gone to Tools -> Library, and clicked the File Monitor tab, and checked just the subfolders I wanted were checked. All was as it should be.
Then i went to File -> Rescan Tracks, and made sure just the subfolders I wanted were checked. Ditto (naturally) and I did a rescan. The tracks were still there.
(That's when i went to my computer to delete them - i should have created a playlist with the path variable.)

Then i posted here, and slept on it. Now, after your post (and after a reboot), I did another rescan and they have vanished. Why that would make a difference I don't know. Oh well, sorted now.