Vinyl LPs in MM

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Robin Banks

Vinyl LPs in MM

Post by Robin Banks » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:13 pm

I have just finished cataloguing my digital music in MM, and I am very pleased with the results. I now want to move on to my collection of vinyl LPs. A single catalogue of all the recorded music I own would be very useful. I do not want to digitise my LPs. Why should I? I've got a good hi-fi with a turntable, and I like playing them as they were made.

But how to catalogue them in MM? At first I thought the Virtual CD feature might meet the need, but unless I have misunderstood it, it doesn't really fit the bill.

I would be glad to know people's views on the following hack which I have tried. Create an MP3 file consisting of just half a second of silence (Audacity will do this). This gives a 2Kb file. Make a copy of the file for each track on the LP side 1, and again for side 2. Rename and add ID3 tags (appropriately, I like to use "Tag and Rename"). File sizes are now up to 80Kb - still very much smaller than a real music MP3. Add these files to the MM library.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Lowlander

Re: Vinyl LPs in MM

Post by Lowlander » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:05 pm

MediaMonkey isn't meant for cataloging (yes, VirtualCD does allow this for CD's) so you'll probably need some physical files to start with (once scanned in they could be removed again though). Alternatively as MediaMonkey is a database driven program you can program to add data (catalog) to the database using scripting.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Dymium

Post by Dymium » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Indeed, Mediamonkey is excellent for catalogging digital media.

For vinyl and other offline media I would suggest a program like Catraxx: http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/index.html
I use it for my offline audio (vinyl, cd's, etc). It can import info from Discogs or even import your complete discogs catalog if you have entered your data there.

But for digital media catalogging, Mediamonkey is one of the best (and fastest) tools available.

fje00

Post by fje00 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:14 am

Another suggestion for cataloging vinyl is Music Collector.
http://www.collectorz.com/music

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks for these helpful responses.

Coming from a background in librarianship, the term I use to describe the operation of adding records of digital music to the MM library is "cataloguing".

Library catalogue software products are all database applications. One of the useful features of library software is that it can be used to catalogue all of the different kinds of holdings — books, photographs, serials (=journals and newspapers), CDs, DVDs, and, in the past, cassette tapes, LPs, and 16mm films. A query in a library catalogue for the search term "Verdi" without specifying a media type, could produce a result list including printed vocal scores of Verdi operas, audio CDs, DVD recordings of Verdi operatic performances, and biographies of the composer. It's all there in one catalogue because all the items in the collections are there in one library (more or less).

The idea of having separate catalogues in different software packages for different parts of my collection of recorded music is alien. My hi-fi system has a turntable for LPs, a casette deck for audio casette tapes, a CD player for CDs, and a DAC for digital music. All of these connect to the same amp and then on to the same speakers. It's all one system. I need one software package to manage it.

The MM version 4 press release proudly anounced:

"MediaMonkey has long been known as a music manager for serious collectors. With today’s release, Ventis Media’s MediaMonkey 4.0 finally lives up to its moniker–managing video as well as music."

Excellent! A big step forward! But some of these "serious collectors" (of digital media) will also be serious collectors of vinyl which is enjoying a revival. All that is required to satisfy them is the ability to enter records into the MM database without a corresponding digital media file. That cannot be very difficult to achieve, but would be another extension of MM's range.

I suppose that should have been my original post: "Is there a way of entering records into the MM library without there being a digital media file?" Would Lowlander kindly expand on the two suggestions he made?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:26 pm

You'll need a file to enter anything into MediaMonkey. So if you created fake albums in files, scanned them in, and entered data of an LP it would work. You can even remove the files afterwards (be aware that you don't want to remove the now dead link from the Library). Just be aware that these fake files will need to have unique paths between the different LP's.

Through scripting or directly you can modify the database itself. This way you can workaround the issue of needing files to be added. I don't think anyone has done this so you'll need to figure it out from scratch: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Scripting

bailso

Post by bailso » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:54 pm

A friend of mine who now uses MM4 has a lot of data previously entered into Catraxx which is essentially a Microsoft Access DB. Catraxx is no longer supported. He has now uploaded most of his CDs and digitised LPs into his MM4 library.
Can anyone think of a way of importing the information previously entered manually into Catraxx?
Thanks

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 am

I'm not aware of a way to import data from MS Access. However if you're able to export the data from MS Access to something like a TXT files you may want to check out: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7055